Thread: [SOLVED] HTML Signatures, any way to manually edit?

Default [SOLVED] HTML Signatures, any way to manually edit?

Now that formatted signatures are available from Zimbra 5.0.4 I just spent a moment setting one up, and while being able to set character size and colour is a very nice addition to the plaintext alternative, I couldn't help find myself being frustrated at not being able to code it myself.

I know that wont be for everyone, so I dont mind editing a resource file by hand if I can find it (I'm currently grepping through all the files in the zimbra tree looking for my current sig, but it's taking a while!)

So when I define a signature, is it stored only in ldap, or is it held in a file I can edit. If it's ldap only, is there a way I can pass a custom string to it?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Now that formatted signatures are available from Zimbra 5.0.4 I just spent a moment setting one up, and while being able to set character size and colour is a very nice addition to the plaintext alternative, I couldn't help find myself being frustrated at not being able to code it myself.

I know that wont be for everyone, so I dont mind editing a resource file by hand if I can find it (I'm currently grepping through all the files in the zimbra tree looking for my current sig, but it's taking a while!)

So when I define a signature, is it stored only in ldap, or is it held in a file I can edit. If it's ldap only, is there a way I can pass a custom string to it?

Thanks.
    Yes, I would also LOVE to know how to manually edit the HTML directly (so as to embed a company logo graphic, etc.).
    mark daniel | actc
    zcs 6 ose | mac pro | mac os x server 10.4.11

Ok, the string is not held in a textfile where it'd be nice & easy to edit

It's in the ldap tables. The following command will show the sig:
    zmprov ga user@domain.tld | grep zimbraPrefMailSignatureHTML

So I'd assume it'd be a simple matter to inject new text into there from the command line. When I was using the GUI though, I did notice an error informing me that I'd exceeded the 1024 character limit, so this would have to be observed here too I assume.

So, can I make a cool & professional css sig in just 1k of code? I dont know, but it'll be fun trying.

In the meantime, does anyone know the synax of the zmprov command to insert a value into this field?

Ha! Easy when you try.

I threw together a little basic html, ignoring everything I've learned about css and compliance with html guidelines and came up with 478 bytes that looked ok. Then I had to do a search & replace to remove all " and replace with '

Then run
    zmprov ma user@domain.tld zimbraPrefMailSignatureHTML "<this is html></sig>"

Except I replaced the psudocode with the sig I'd just made. Once zmprov completed, the changes took effect right away. So I headed into the preferences section of the web client and the new sig shows there also, and minor changes can be made inside that editor without destroying everything, which is very nice.

Hah! Gonna try that today. BTW, you can change that 1k limitation in the CoS for your users. I've bumped mine to 2.5k (to accommodate a privacy statement) without issue.
    mark daniel | actc
    zcs 6 ose | mac pro | mac os x server 10.4.11

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

There is still a bug open for embedding images into the signature. Hopefully we can get some html control as well, that would be nice.

The two main things missing are images and links in the signature.

Question

I think it's not solved...

I'm in 5.0.5 and i haven't got a bouton in the html menu for add images in signature,like this http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/attachment.cgi?id=7073

Welcome to the forums,

The initial work was completed via Bug 6390 - Support formatted (html) signatures

Dirk has posted a method zmprov ma user@domain.tld zimbraPrefMailSignatureHTML "<this is html></sig>" The thread title is "HTML Signatures, any way to manually edit?" & thus the thread got marked solved.

You can also vote for these RFE's:
    Bug 27398 - Access to HTML source of signatures from web-ui
    Bug 25797 - RFE: inline/embeded logos in the signature

Just to orient you a bit:

Bugs & RFE's (requests for enhancements) can be filed/voted for in Bugzilla & tracked (see priorities & what release their going into) via PMweb.

The blog has lots of good articles - you might checkout: Open Source Product Management: How do features get into Zimbra?

Last but definitely not least - the Wiki has all sorts of collective knowledge in it

I'm trying to run the zmprov ma user@domain.tld zimbraPrefMailSignatureHTML "<this is html></sig>" command and having some issues.
    When I run the command as it stands it gives me the args for the command. So I assumed that I would have to add "-" before MA.
    eg zmprov -ma user@domain.tld zimbraPrefMailSignatureHTML "<this is html></sig>"
    However I get the error: cannot specify -m when -l is not specified.
    So I added the -l and it said
    ERROR: account.NO_SUCH_ACCOUNT (no such account: A)
    I know the account exists.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Release 6.0.4_GA_2038.SLES10_64_20091214220839 SLES10_64 NETWORK edition.
    Last edited by msonen; 03-05-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added version