Thread: [SOLVED] New Install Switch

Default [SOLVED] New Install Switch

OK, maybe I'm nitpicking here, but I just did an upgrade from FOSS version 5.0.2 to 5.0.4 and found that I had to add an undocumented "platform-override" switch to the install script because I'm running CentOS instead of the "official" RHEL. I just don't understand the need to have this switch. There is and always was a spot in the install where it informed you that you were trying to install a version of the software that did not match the OS you were running; and it makes you acknowledge this before continuing. I don't think we need to start up the whole RHEL vs. CentOS compatibility, etc., etc., but surely the Zimbra folks realize that many users do use CentOS, and will continue to do so. At the very least this change should have been documented in the Release Notes. Also, the point where the install stops you and tells you that you need to add this switch is several steps in. If the install can detect that I'm not running the "correct" OS for the version I am trying to install, do it right up front so I don't have to waste time.

I don't disagree so perhaps a RFE ? And it rhyms Moving it to the very start of the install script would make a lot of sense.

Yeah, I can create an RFE. I guess I was looking for some feedback as to why the switch was even added. To me it seems like an unnecessary jab at the people running Zimbra under some flavor of CentOS. Anyone who has followed these forums knows this is a touchy subject. And yes, I do realize that this applies to other flavors of Linux as well, such as people trying to run on the latest version of Ubuntu. However, I have to think the CentOS is number one on the list of "unsupported" installs.

RFE 26459 has been created for this issue.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Yeah, I can create an RFE. I guess I was looking for some feedback as to why the switch was even added. To me it seems like an unnecessary jab at the people running Zimbra under some flavor of CentOS. Anyone who has followed these forums knows this is a touchy subject. And yes, I do realize that this applies to other flavors of Linux as well, such as people trying to run on the latest version of Ubuntu. However, I have to think the CentOS is number one on the list of "unsupported" installs.
    It's likely to have been added to make sure people understood that their installation environment is unsupported, although it's always been mentioned in the install script you'd be surprised how many people don't see it. It isn't a dig a CentOS users, all unsupported operating systems get the same message - there's no discrimination.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks Phoenix. I'm probably being overly sensitive to this touchy subject. As I said in my last response, I realize that it affects everyone trying to install on a wrong or unsupported platform; not just us CentOS users. However, I still think the majority of people who will find out about this message will be CentOS users. My points were:
    1. The change wasn't documented.
    2. The prompt came several steps into the install. (Hopefully my RFE will fix this.)
    3. There is already a prompt in there, where the default is "N", and you have to change it to "Y". I can see blowing through an EULA when installing a game on a PC or something like that, but anyone blindly answering prompts when installing a collaboration suite like Zimbra is just asking for trouble, beyond trying to install on an unsupported OS. Besides, did they really have to terminate the install? Couldn't they have put in an "Are you really sure?" prompt, or make you type something like "UNSUPPORTEDOS"?

OK, I'm done with my ranting for the day. I think I'll get over this now

So just to expand: this wasn't put in for CentOS. We don't care about that. If people want to run it on unsupported operating systems, go for it. Just don't complain when it breaks.

The reason we put it in, is because users were mistakenly upgrading their 32 bit system to x64 bits. We think this is because most people don't actually read the link before downloading. They also missed several of the warnings.

So when you attempt to install 64-bits on a 32 bit system, the system doesn't like it. It's also pretty difficult to recover. So we opted for the switch.

It just so happens that we check the OS using the getplat.sh tag to help prevent bad OS installations, and determine what the installer should do. CentOS isn't in there, so CentOS users get the error.

So, I would suggest that if users want to pretend that they're RHEL users, change /etc/redhat-release

Then you may not have issues

Sorry, can't resist one more comment. If you're concerned about 64-bit installs on 32 bit systems, which is understandable, couldn't you check for only that, and stop the install with a clear message that this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Sorry, can't resist one more comment. If you're concerned about 64-bit installs on 32 bit systems, which is understandable, couldn't you check for only that, and stop the install with a clear message that this is the case.
    Write the code, and submit it. Don't forget to sign the contribution agreement, and we'll think about integrating it.