Thanks for the reply. Before I answer your questions, let me address the more urgent issue, which was rescuing the mail from the new server's deferred queue.
I did this:
and then I logged into the old server's web admin and flushed its deferred queue. This appears to have worked so the urgent part of my problem may be resolved.
(on old server)
# zmcontrol stop
(on new server)
# rsync -avr /opt/zimbra/postfix/spool/deferred/ root@oldserver:/opt/zimbra/postfix/spool/deferred/
# rsync -avr /opt/zimbra/postfix/spool/defer/ root@oldserver:/opt/zimbra/postfix/spool/defer/
(on old server)
# zmcontrol start
Now to answer your questions. Servers have same name and IP. DNS config was not changed. zmcontrol status on the new server shows:
which is what I expected given the symptoms (mta delivery but no local mail delivery, nothing listening on the web ports, etc...).
tomcat is not running
Thanks to your pointer to the wiki docs about log files, I found /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out, which led me to solving my two remaining problems:
Following the directions here: Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki
java.io.IOException: Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect
I copied my keystore over from my old server.
Unfortunately, those directions didn't include the steps to update Zimbra with the keystore password. I found those at this bug report: Bug 21174 - create zmkeystorepasswd to simplify changing keystore password
Those uid/gid settings were not the same as the old server. I had already set the uid/gid on the new server in /etc/passwd to match the old so that my files would have proper ownership when I rsync'ed them over, but did not realize Zimbra also stores these values in its internal config. I made them so with:
Zimbra server process is running as root, changing to user=zimbra uid=10000 gid=551
Zimbra server process, after change, is running with uid=10000 euid=10000 gid=551 egid=551
log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log (Permission denied)
Looks like everything is working now and that I owe Zimbra some documentation patches for their 32-bit to 64-bit migration wiki page.
# zmlocalconfig -e zimbra_uid=1000
# zmlocalconfig -e zimbra_gid=1000
Thanks for the pointer to the log file wiki page, that's what started this solution!