Thread: [SOLVED] 4.0.5 to 4.5.6 to 4.5.11 and further

Default [SOLVED] 4.0.5 to 4.5.6 to 4.5.11 and further

Hi Folks,

(All info below applies to FOSS Zimbra and Debian 3.1)

Once again, great product, been running on 4.0.5 faultlessly for over 16 months.

Its now the time to upgrade to the latest and greatest, and with help from the forums this is how it went.

I had read on the forums that 4.0.5 -> 4.5.6 was a good upgrade path, so I chose that one. It fell over with an error
    --------
    ERROR 1005 (HY000) at line 2: Can't create table './mboxgroup32/#sql-6af4_e1.frm' (errno: 150)
    Fri Mar 28 19:21:01 2008: Error while running '/opt/zimbra/bin/mysql --user=zimbra --password=Axc9Y2C5ry317rbKPuCLBFbgPzp --database=zimbra --batch --skip-column-names'.
    Script failed with code 256: - exiting
    UPGRADE FAILED - exiting
    --------

After reading the forums it appeared this was an innodb_buffer_pool_size issue. I did use the value in the post of 1992294400, but it never allowed the upgrade to complete. I think (not 100% sure) this value was too big for my 2GB server, so after restoring my 4.0.5 system and testing it. I edited the conf/my.cnf file with a value more to my systems liking => 343597340.

I ran the upgrade again. This time it worked perfectly. I did another rsync backup (to a fresh location, just in case. 43Gb store takes about 1.4 hours).

I then ran the 4.5.11.debian.3.1 upgrade. This also worked without a hitch, apart from the db integrety check which is mentioned on the wiki, and is not a problem anyway, good job wiki.

I am in the process on another rsync backup to a new fresh location, and once thats finished, I will tackle the debian 4.0 OS upgrade and the 4.5.11.debian4.0 upgrade.

Finally (after another rsync backup to a new fresh location again), I will bring zimbra to the latest 5.0. FOSS release.

The wiki has some information on this, but its a little to vague for me :-) I'll just have to cross my fingers!

Anyway, I'll post again with the result of the next upgrades and some more info, this is primarily a post to give anyone else some information who is about the try the same thing, or similiar.

Again, well done zimbra, great product.

-Roy

Have a look at the blog article as well: /blog/archives/2007/10/moving_zcs_to_another_server.html
    -Use the same ZCS version when you do the platform change
    -Watch UID/GID's

Mike,

Thanks for bringing up this points, I should have been clearer in my post. This is all happening on the 1 server, once my backup of 4.5.11.debian3.1 is complete, I will be doing an apt-get upgrade to 4.0. then running the pugrade for zimbra to 4.5.11.debian4.0 and once that works i'll bring it 5.0.?

Thanks for clearing those points up.

Regards

-Roy

Folks,

The debian 4.0 upgrade went without a hitch
    ---------
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    ---------

went to install 4.5.11.debian4.0 and it complained about a package missing, libgmp3c2 so i went and apt-get'd that one and the install went perfectly, and tested ok.

Doing another full backup of /opt/zimbra now. and then will do the final zimbra upgrade to 5.0.4 and will report on how it goes.

Apologies if this is a long winded and useless topic, but I would have like to have this one before I tackled it, and am putting it up here.

Thanks to all

-Roy

Well folks,

The 5.0.4 upgrade looked for perl 5.8.8 so once I put that on the system (apt-get install perl) everything worked a treat.

I have zimbra admin console back again. I always figured I broke it doing some imap/pop proxy stuff (i presume tomcat broke) and that 5.0.4 is using jetty, its back working again. The above statement is pure guess on my part, apologies if its wrong!

anyway, hope this thread find someone else who can use it. Its been fun!

Thanks all, fantastic piece of software.

-Roy

Enjoy v5! Checkout the rest of the blog for more info on all the new features and stuff you can do, or have a look at the quick 'what's new' list.
    Oh, and also http://www.zimbra.com/forums/announc...html#post62754