Thread: [SOLVED] Fowarding - Mail delivery system to original sender

Default [SOLVED] Fowarding - Mail delivery system to original sender

Question about the Mail delivery system.

I have the next situation:

Zimbra domain: @test.com
    I have 2 mails, mailone@test.com and mailforwarded@test.com, every mail sent to mailone@test.com is forwarded to mailfowarded@test.com.

When someone, outside or inside my domain, let say sender@senderdomain.com, sent me a mail to mailone@test.com, and the foward to mailfowarded@test.com fails, the mail delivery system sent the error mail to the original sender (sender@senderdomain.com).

I don't understand this behavior. The Zimbra is who made the forward of the message, why the error is sent to the original sender? Don't should be sent to postmaster@domain.com??

Thanks,

In my opinion that is the correct result as the sender should be notified of non-delivery. What would be useful are any errors from your log files.

Yes, but the zimbra server internally is who made the foward. The sender should be notified if it can't be delivered to mailone@test.com, but it should be notified if the foward (from mailone@test.com to mailfowarded@test.com) fails?

I think this is a concepts doubt.

It sounds like you want a new message envelope made so the sender@senderdomain.com doesn't know your forwarding?
    Per RFC message-forwarding changes the envelope recipient(s) and leaves the "envelope sender" field untouched. The "envelope sender" field does not equate to the From header which E-mail client software usually displays: it represents a field used in the early stages of the SMTP protocol, and subsequently saved as the Return-Path header. This field holds the address to which mail-systems must send bounce messages — reporting delivery-failure (or success) — if any.

By contrast, the terms remailing or redistribution can sometimes mean re-sending the message and also rewriting the "envelope sender" field. Electronic mailing lists furnish a typical example. Authors submit messages to a reflector that performs remailing to each list address. That way, bounce messages (which report a failure delivering a message to any list- subscriber) will not reach the author of a message.
    This actually prompted Bug 26562 - should not send bounce message for an invalid address specified in forwards hidden from user
    ------- Additional Comment #1 From Anand Palaniswamy 2008-04-01 02:06 PST -------
    we can't stop postfix from bouncing sent to an invalid addr expansion

perhaps we should clarify the text field in admin console to reflect how it will not really be "hidden" in case you put a bad/sometimes troublesome value in it

------- Additional Comment #2 From Brian Peterson 2008-04-01 09:37 PST -------
    add disclaimer text in admin console warning that invalid addresses will bounce message revealing the forwarded account.
    (See the attached pic of the planned 5.0.5 forwarding tab.)

//depot/FRANKLIN/ZimbraWebClient/WebRoot/messages/ZaMsg.properties:
    Alert_Bouncing_Reveal_Hidden_Adds = An invalid hidden forwarding address can be revealed by the bounced message.

//depot/FRANKLIN/ZimbraWebClient/WebRoot/js/zimbraAdmin/accounts/view/ZaAccountXFormView.js & ZaNewAccountXWizard.js:
    {type: _DWT_ALERT_, colSpan: 2, containerCssStyle: "padding:10px;padding-top:
    0px; width:100%;", style: DwtAlert.WARNING, iconVisible: true, content:
    ZaMsg.Alert_Bouncing_Reveal_Hidden_Adds
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's exactly what I want to mean!
    Thanks for your answer.