Thread: Change domain name or change aliases?

Default Change domain name or change aliases?

Hello. This is my first post here; I'm sure there will be more. I hope I'm posting this in what will be considered "the right place."

I've recently moved the staff mail server with 140 users from a procmail/sendmail setup to the Zimbra Network Edition. (I have a lot of experience with Sendmail but I'm a Zimbra/Postfix noob.) Now that Zimbra's been in use for a few weeks, I have a few questions. Here's the first.

I want to know about changing the domain name that people see when they're served up information from the LDAP server. It will currently show, for example, 'user@airmail.mydomain.com' -- Zimbra is hosted on airmail.mydomain.com. This is causing a bit of confusion with some users who think their email address has changed. I would prefer that people simply see 'user@mydomain.com.' I have used the preferred format in the canonical address field, but that does not affect what's served up by LDAP.

Is the information contained in ZmSetServerName - Zimbra :: Wiki what I'm looking for or is there another method? Or would http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...rver-name.html, dealing with aliases, serve me better?

As we're now 'in production,' I'd like to 'tread lightly' if at all possible.

Thank you.

-steve

If you go into the admin control panel under Global Settings, what is the default domain set to?

Quick response, thanks!

The default domain is set in the format airmail.mydomain.com.

-steve

Is there a list to chose from? For instance, in my list I have "server.mydomain.com" and "mydomain.com". If not, maybe try adding an additional domain and then setting it as the default domain. I'm no Zimbra expert so take the advice with a grain of salt.

No, there is only one server listed. Perhaps the answer is to add the server.com domain in addition to the airmail.server.com and do a small test.

Its worth a shot. Its always easy enough to change it back if it doesn't work as expected.

Thanks for your input!

No problem. Did it resolve your issue? If so, please use the "Thread Tools" at the top and mark this thread resolved.

Actually, the answer seems to be "yes" and "no."

So, the main domain is 'airmail.server.com' and I want just 'server.com' to show up in GAL listings.

As suggested I added a 'server.com' domain and added a test user. {Now the Zimbra box is fed by the main mail exchanger which feeds mail to three different mail servers depending on the final recipient (webmail archive, list server, staff [zimbra] mail server). This may be adding to the complexity of this issue perhaps.}

The only way I could get mail to user@server.com was to create an alias user@airmail.server.com... voila! Mail gets delivered to the correct account and GAL reports the mail address in the correct form.

Set that up late last night and went to be thinking, "Gee golly wow!, I'm all set. Now I just need to do that for everyone and we're all set"

Got in this morning, and people are complaining they're receiving external mail, but not internally generated mail.... so I removed the 'server.com' domain.

It looks as if, seemingly, I will need to go through the change domain routine referenced in my earlier message to do this. Piecemealing it doesn't seem to make Zimbra happy.

And there we are at the present moment.