Thread: Change domain name or change aliases?

Hybrid View

Default Change domain name or change aliases?

Hello. This is my first post here; I'm sure there will be more. I hope I'm posting this in what will be considered "the right place."

I've recently moved the staff mail server with 140 users from a procmail/sendmail setup to the Zimbra Network Edition. (I have a lot of experience with Sendmail but I'm a Zimbra/Postfix noob.) Now that Zimbra's been in use for a few weeks, I have a few questions. Here's the first.

I want to know about changing the domain name that people see when they're served up information from the LDAP server. It will currently show, for example, 'user@airmail.mydomain.com' -- Zimbra is hosted on airmail.mydomain.com. This is causing a bit of confusion with some users who think their email address has changed. I would prefer that people simply see 'user@mydomain.com.' I have used the preferred format in the canonical address field, but that does not affect what's served up by LDAP.

Is the information contained in ZmSetServerName - Zimbra :: Wiki what I'm looking for or is there another method? Or would http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...rver-name.html, dealing with aliases, serve me better?

As we're now 'in production,' I'd like to 'tread lightly' if at all possible.

Thank you.

-steve

If you go into the admin control panel under Global Settings, what is the default domain set to?

Quick response, thanks!

The default domain is set in the format airmail.mydomain.com.

-steve

Is there a list to chose from? For instance, in my list I have "server.mydomain.com" and "mydomain.com". If not, maybe try adding an additional domain and then setting it as the default domain. I'm no Zimbra expert so take the advice with a grain of salt.

No, there is only one server listed. Perhaps the answer is to add the server.com domain in addition to the airmail.server.com and do a small test.

Its worth a shot. Its always easy enough to change it back if it doesn't work as expected.