Thread: Opening Saved Emails

Hybrid View

Default Opening Saved Emails

For some reason the company I work for wants to save emails to the file server. I think it would be better to keep mails in Zimbra in a shared mailbox but there you go.

I know you can save emails by right clicking, view original and then saving but how do I view these emails in Zimbra? I don't want to have to install additional software on every client as this defeats one of the major points of having Zimbra, no client installation. If I get them to open in another mail client then the users will use that client to forward or reply and that means setting up additional accounts. I need to keep these mails in Zimbra, can this be done or are there any plans for this?

Is this something to do with compliance ? What version of ZCS are you running ? If NE would they be prepared to pay for http://www.zimbra.com/products/zimbra_archiving.html ?

Or you could take a look at http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...intercept.html

I'm running 5.04 FOSS on F7, it's not so much an archiving system we want more of a shared project based storage. It would work perfectly well in a shared email folder within Zimbra but the company wants emails stored on the file server as "normal" files, eml, msg. Users need to be able to open these files easily so it would require a File/Open in Zimbra.

What O/S is the file server ? could you setup a list-server on it, and forward the emails to it, then each email would be stored as required.

Or use something like IMAP Backup and Restore to drag the files out of a Zimbra mailbox into EML format on the fileserver ? that way they are available via Zimbra and by the fileserver.

It's SBS 2003 (sorry for the bad language). The system has to be completely flexible, users will pick random emails to save in various folders. Saving isn't a problem though. The problem is the users must be able to access any project folder and read any email at random. The users are not IT literate, they'd probably quit if I started talking imap and syncing! They just want to browse to a file and open it even though in reality it's an email.

Does SBS include SharePoint ? Might be able to get that to index .eml files and allow them to browse a project structure tree. It may even render the file for them through a web-browser. So many ways to do this that are slicker than having to open it through a client. Sorry