Thread: Single Server Pilot - Administration and Maintenance

Question Single Server Pilot - Administration and Maintenance

First a little about me - I have been a sysadmin for just over 10 years. While I have dabbled (lightly) with Linux and open-source I have always worked for Microsoft houses and in the name of 'integration' most Linux-based systems have been ruled out. While I am a big fan of open source software this has meant that my Linux experience was minimal with just a couple of LAMP servers and desktop deployments to my name during those times I wasn't fixing a Windows machine...

And now a little about my current situation - My current organisation hosts a growing number of (what I like to call) micro-projects (we are running just over half a dozen at the moment). These projects typically consist of less than a dozen users, often from multiple (sme) organisations, that need collaborative messaging facilities for no more than a few months. Almost seems a waste of money buying a domain name for the year...

Which brings me to Zimbra. The community edition offers all of the essential features that I need to support these groups and, even better, will run more than happily on our old Exchange servers (moving to Exchange 2007 meant ditching the 32bit servers). Given the low volume of users this seems to be an ideal fit and a bargin at the price!

I spent a few hours last night installing Zimbra for the first time on my old laptop (HP Compaq N800v) using Ubuntu 6.06 LTS which, barring a few stumbles, went on without a problem.

I am now the proud owner of a Zimbra single server deployment.

But now I need to make sure I can support it before I consider supporting users in a corporate (quasi-educational too) environment.

Are there any good resources for administering and maintaining a Zimbra server? At the very least I need to be sure I can audit and apply security patches, spam and antivirus definitions as well as create and restore backups: at the moment I'm forwarding mail to another email address just in case

In the past all of the Linux machines I've used had a GUI interface (I know; but I did say I was a Microsoft sysadmin!) so at the moment I'm stumbling over the simplest command line commands. Before you give up on me completely though I am a fairly quick learner and I am more than willing to read up and around the subject - I just need to know where to start.

Many thanks for any assistance you can offer,

Welcome to the forums

Well I am sure you have found the Zimbra Admin GUI

If you are going to use the FOSS version then unfortunately you will not have online backups available to you. Though you could setup you own backup solution. Check out the Wiki for lots of articles like this :- Open Source Edition Backup Procedure - Zimbra :: Wiki

If you wish to use Outlook and have online backups and you have less than 15 users then take a look at http://www.zimbra.com/forums/announc...html#post86638

Also, this is a good starting point :- Zimbra Administration Guide
    Last edited by uxbod; 04-14-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Thanks for the welcome uxbod.

As I say I only managed to get this working last night so my trawl of the Admin GUI has not been as exhasutive as it could have been. I shall take a closer look this evening (I've not made the Admin GUI externally accessible).

I started reading the OSE Backup Procedure and almost had a heart-attack when I got to the Perl script! Looks like that alone will take me a week to translate. I might just try the bash script instead...

We have more that 15 users, although these are split into a number of project groups, which would exceed the Starter Edition limit. And I've have to buy it myself until the organisation decided it was a suitable solution.

There is also the 60 day eval you could try. Perhaps see what the general opinion of Zimbra is by using the FOSS version, then if people are happy install the NE version so you can give the connector and the online backups a go aswell Obviously depends on how long you wish to trial.