Thread: global sharing of all user calendars

Default global sharing of all user calendars

Hello All,

Perhaps this has been answered somewhere deep in the archives, but I haven't been able to find the solution/recommendation, so here goes:

1. What is the most efficient way to globally share all users' calendars as read-only to all other users?

From what I can tell, to do this globally, I would need to script out the changes as:

a) create a new read-only share for each user's calendar
    b) subscribe all users to each shared calendar

2. I suspect this will require each user to accept the share manually. Is there a way to suppress the new share notifications and have the new share automagically accepted?

3. If anyone is globally sharing all users' calendars, have you seen any significant performance hits in the webgui or Outlook synchronization?

Thanks for any tips or direction.

you're right, you'll have to script it. The good news is you can script it so that a new employee's calendar is automaticly added to everyone else, and everyone else's is automaticly added to theirs. so you don't need to worry about them accepting the share or not.

you can do this with the zmmailbox util. the wiki has plenty of great examples.

one note, this will not carry over to outlook with the connector. afaik there is no way to have this autosetup in outlook.

Default sharing calendars

we want to be able to do this too - the main problem that I can see is a user interface one - how do you navigate 5000+ calendars from the sidebar? We have a few ideas on how to manage this but would be interested to know how others envisage facilitating this

You can group calendars when using zmmailbox to create them. You could do this by department. Basicly what you have to do is first create a local calendar called like /HR then you createmountpoint of /HR/John Doe to user jdoe's /Calendar.

This creates an expandable/collapsable tree view of teh HR department. You could do htis for every department. Granted wtih 5000 calendars this might still be a bit unruly.

There was a bug back in 5.02 wherein calendars that are below the top level would not retain their on/off status upon logout. I can't seem to find the bug report I filed but I thought I remember it being fixed for 5.04. I havn't upgraded so I can't confirm.

Default calendar sharing

we use Oracle Calendar at the moment and one useful feature gives you a limited configurable list of "favourite" people's calendars and the ability to search the GAL and view a selected person's calendar. This would be a great extra in ZCS.

Thanks for the confirmation and insight.

The approach to breaking the calendars down into departmental trees may help with the webgui real estate problems that I was anticipating. Thanks for that tip!

Does anyone have any experience with the webgui sync behavior with so many calendars? Will each calendar constantly synchronize or must the calendar be selected (checked, on/off) for it to sync? The Outlook connector seems to regularly sync all open mailboxes, regardless of whether the calendar is actively selected in Outlook, at least with the handful I have been testing. Is that a feature or a bug?

This seems like it would introduce a huge load on the server if it constantly syncs all calendars for all users.