Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra crashes when entering large mailbox

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra crashes when entering large mailbox

Hi everyone,
    Im new to Zimbra and I have been searching for a solution for my problems here and on Google without luck.

I used to have a Dovecot / Postfix solution but exported it all to a first class open source edition Zimbra "zcs-5.0.4_GA_2101.DEBIAN4.0.20080321134307".

I works just fine. Except for one annoying thing.
    Two users have got extreme amounts of mail.
    Well, actually its not that "extreme" but they are heavy users of mail.
    they have about 8000-15000 mails in their inbox.
    No I understand that there must be a limit to what a mail system can handle but I dont feel that 8000 is to much (and yes, I might be totally wrong here).

Anyway. As soon as I enter the users inbox with Thunderbird (TB 2.x) it downloads all headers but when I try to open a mail it just hangs and all goes down... Zimbra stops responding on imap and the webservices also stop responding.

All I can do when this happens is to restart all zimbra services with zmmcontrol and start em up again...

The plan was to show this company the power of open source and they are about to buy the comercial version to be able to sync with their mobile phones etc... but right now the project hangs on one tiny annoying little thing

So any suggestions is appreciated!

Take a look at the mailbox.log

Default Thanks for the quick reply

Okey... so I did as you said...I tailed the mailbox.log and damn.... got flooded by:

2008-04-25 01:14:06,932 WARN [ImapSSLServer-2] [name=magnus.xxxx@xxxxx.com;mid=35;ip=79.136.64.204 ;] imap - ignoring error during UID FETCH:
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: IOException while retrieving content for item 17877
    ExceptionId:ImapSSLServer-2:1209078846932:9f3d1ebb4760ce8e
    Code:service.FAILURE
    at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE (ServiceException.java:253)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MessageCache.getItemContent( MessageCache.java:138)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MessageCache.getRawContent(M essageCache.java:164)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailItem.getContentStream(Ma ilItem.java:846)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapMessage.getContent(ImapMess age.java:148)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.fetch(ImapHandler.j ava:2927)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.doFETCH(ImapHandler .java:2788)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.executeRequest(Imap Handler.java:402)
    at com.zimbra.cs.imap.TcpImapHandler.processCommand(T cpImapHandler.java:151)
    at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.processCon nection(ProtocolHandler.java:160)
    at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.run(Protoc olHandler.java:128)
    at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Wo rker.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/zimbra/store/0/35/msg/4/17877-32558.msg (Too many open files)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.jav a:106)
    at com.zimbra.cs.store.FileBlobStore.getContent(FileB lobStore.java:371)
    at com.zimbra.cs.store.FileBlobStore.getContent(FileB lobStore.java:365)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MessageCache.fetchFromStore( MessageCache.java:270)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MessageCache.getItemContent( MessageCache.java:132)
    ... 11 more

Ok... so now we're on to something here. Too many files open. So I googled a little bit and my findings hinted me about Ubuntu doping the right thing when doing "su - zimbra"...
    A "ulimit -n" as root gives 1024... and a "ulimit -n" after "su - zimbra" gives... 1024... which is kinda...small value...and not expected by me since my /etc/security/limits.conf tells me diffrently.
    Now...Im obviously on the limit of my competence here but as I understood it "su - zimbra" doesnt give me the whole environment which in this case is filelimits which are set to small?
    So I checked "/etc/security/limits.conf" which states that zimbra soft and hard nofile is 524288... yup... zimbra good... root bad...eh?

So as I understood it even though I use the recommended "su - zimbra" Im still not doing it right since Im not all zimbra when it comes to zimbra users file limits?

Can anyone please explain what I need to do and why?
    Last edited by mindlight; 04-24-2008 at 04:46 PM.

Take a look here

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...iles-open.html

I did it in my ubuntu box and now ulimit -n reports the correct value

Default Thanx!

Yes! That changed the values... now Im goin to see if this solves my problems with Imap not working too ... and hopefully my mbox import issues