Thread: Over-riding the "from" address

Default Over-riding the "from" address

I'm currently evaluating the Network edition of Zimbra. The feature list looks good and the installation couldn't have been more straightforward. However, I've hit a snag during account provisioning.

We're a small operation, <50 users, and our local account naming policy is to use first names "gareth", "geoff" etc. Where there's a collision, we add a surname letter, i.e. "alanr".

Our email addresses are of the form "firstname_lastname", so "gareth_marlow". I want to keep the same account naming policy and obviously retain the same email addresses, but to do this, I need to be able to over-ride the "From" address in Zimbra. I've created a gareth_marlow -> gareth alias, and can see that I can also set a "Reply-to" address. Is there any way for me to over-ride "From" though, (via the web client - obviously this is possible from a fat client).

There's no way to change the from. The FROM will always be the mailbox's email address. So you should provision the mailboxes with what you want the FROM to be and then add aliases for the rest. Remember you can login with any alias so that shouldn't be a worry.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Interesting. We are rolling out Zimbra Network edition and also have used firstname_lastname@DomainName as our canonical email address for years. We would much prefer users didn't use physical machine names as part of email addresses for a wide range of reasons. We don't want/need the ability for users to set their own FROM address. Giving the Admin the ability to set the FROM address to something@DomainName instead of something@MachineName.DomainName would be highly desireable for us. Thanks for considering it.

I never mentioned machine names. You should provision the accounts as first_last@domain then the FROM will be first_last@domain. Machine name is not needed.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    I never mentioned machine names. You should provision the accounts as first_last@domain then the FROM will be first_last@domain. Machine name is not needed.
    Thanks Kevin - we'll give it a try.

gjnieuwenhuis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Thanks Kevin - we'll give it a try.
    Just an idea for the next release: Is it possible for the webclient to behave in such a way that if a user logs in with an alias, the alias will be used as the reply to address?

Thanks,
    GJ.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnieuwenhuis
    Just an idea for the next release: Is it possible for the webclient to behave in such a way that if a user logs in with an alias, the alias will be used as the reply to address?

Thanks,
    GJ.
    Yes that's on our list. Not sure when we'll get to it buts it's logged.