Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One mail, multiple users

Default One mail, multiple users

Hi there. First post, so let me start by saying that Zimbra almost seems to good to be true. I've been trying Open-Xchange, and altough Zimbra has less features, the ones it has are just marvelous.
    That been said, here comes the question.

I wonder if it is possible to have several users acessing the same mailbox. I'm not looking for the mailing list feature, but something like calendar sharing, only being applied to mailboxes. In M$ Exchange i know it can be done ( we use it), and that's one of the issues delaying our pilot instalation.

Any help, considerations, are welcome.

TIA
    Bruno Guerreiro

Quote Originally Posted by bguerreiro
    Hi there. First post, so let me start by saying that Zimbra almost seems to good to be true. I've been trying Open-Xchange, and altough Zimbra has less features, the ones it has are just marvelous.
    What are we missing? File enhancement requests in bugzilla, and we'll see what we can do.
    That been said, here comes the question.

I wonder if it is possible to have several users acessing the same mailbox. I'm not looking for the mailing list feature, but something like calendar sharing, only being applied to mailboxes. In M$ Exchange i know it can be done ( we use it), and that's one of the issues delaying our pilot instalation.

Any help, considerations, are welcome.

TIA
    Bruno Guerreiro
    We don't currently support shared folders, though it's on the list. Of course, one thing you could do is create a shared account (support, for instance) and give everyone the password.

Hi marcmac,

Do you know if shared folder is high on the list? If it is, any idea when? Q1, Q2? Thanks

Rob Choi

Hi.
    Thanks for your swift answer.

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    What are we missing? File enhancement requests in bugzilla, and we'll see what we can do.
    Tasks *wink* *wink*
    But it seems someone has allready done that.
    http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5554

We don't currently support shared folders, though it's on the list.
    Ok, i'll be looking forward for it.

Of course, one thing you could do is create a shared account (support, for instance) and give everyone the password.
    Yes, that's a temporary option.
    But I really don't like going that path, because the users that can access the different accounts keep changing, so everytime someone is to be denied access, we'll have to change the password and inform all the others.

Best Regards,
    Bruno Guerreiro

Quote Originally Posted by robchoi
    Hi marcmac,

Do you know if shared folder is high on the list? If it is, any idea when? Q1, Q2? Thanks

Rob Choi
    Hard to say. We'd like to have something this year but specifically when depends on how it's prioritized with other features.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default Shared mailboxes vs shared accounts

Well, one other problem I see with the shared account workaround for shared mailboxes is that it doesn't seem that Zimbra allows a user to be logged into two accounts at the same time in different windows. If I log into an account on one window, and open Zimbra up in another, it automatically assumes the login from the other browser window. If that's just the way it works, then that workaround won't do for public folders, etc.

BTW, any new information on when this feature might be implemented?

Quote Originally Posted by bjquinn
    Well, one other problem I see with the shared account workaround for shared mailboxes is that it doesn't seem that Zimbra allows a user to be logged into two accounts at the same time in different windows. If I log into an account on one window, and open Zimbra up in another, it automatically assumes the login from the other browser window. If that's just the way it works, then that workaround won't do for public folders, etc.

BTW, any new information on when this feature might be implemented?
    Two accounts via IMAP works fine. Via the web UI you'd need to use different firefox profiles or different browsers (IE and FF).

No new information. We don't guess on dates until there is a plan to build something for a particular release. If there is a date we'll tell you.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Just wanted to add a "me too". The missing shared folders functionality is the only thing stopping us from purchasing a copy and migrate our current email solution.

"me too" or +1 here don't count. They just add noise. Vote for the bug or feature in bugzilla. If it's not there please file it. This is where all feature and road map items are tracked.

I've added an enhancement request for shared folders to Bugzilla at http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6561

Scott
    Scott Hanson
    Media Ventures GmbH
    Cologne, Germany