Thread: A Few Questions

Default A Few Questions

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at buying some paid Zimbra hosting and had a few questions:

1) When you set up mail retrieval from other accounts eg through POP/IMAP can you set the frequency at which this occurs or is it fixed. If so at what frequency is it fixed?
    2) How does the outlook connector talk to the zimbra server? Is it via HTTP etc if so is it secure http??
    3) can you retrieve mail from an imap server using ssl on a non standard port??

there were a few other questions which i can't remember at the moment.

Cheers.

Welcome to the forums,
    Quote Originally Posted by ben laplanche View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm looking at buying some paid Zimbra hosting and had a few questions:
    Don't know if your saying your purchasing NE to host, or if you're purchasing an account at one of our hosting partners, but anyways:
    1) When you set up mail retrieval from other accounts eg through POP/IMAP can you set the frequency at which this occurs or is it fixed. If so at what frequency is it fixed?
    Sure, to check polling settings on an external aggregation account:

su - zimbra
    zmprov gds user@domain.com

To change:
    zmprov mds user@domain.com [Data source external IMAP/POP account name] zimbraDataSourcePollingInterval 900s

zimbraDataSourceMinPollingInterval is usually 60s or 1m or 2m & zimbraFeatureMailPollingIntervalPreferenceEnabled should be set to TRUE

To cancel polling, set the mds attribute value to an empty string ('') or 0. Keep in mind that zimbraDataSourceMinPollingInterval gets inherited from the COS to the account to the data source. If a child object sets the value to "", it inherits the parent's value - if set to 0, it's turned off.

To make it easier for the end user to set vote for / support ticket tag / cc watch: Bug 22114 - Expose external account polling interval in UI

2) How does the outlook connector talk to the zimbra server? Is it via HTTP etc if so is it secure http??
    It's MAPI via HTTP(80) or HTTPS(443) your choice.
    You can also change your web-server's mode via: CLI zmtlsctl to set Web Server Mode - Zimbra :: Wiki

3) can you retrieve mail from an imap server using ssl on a non standard port??
    Yes, you can use whatever ports you choose (IMAP defaults are 143/993).

To see values you can set:
    zmprov gs server.domain.com | grep Imap

To set defaults for single server installs (no IMAP/POP proxy):
    zmprov ms server.domain.com zimbraImapBindPort 143
    zmprov ms server.domain.com zimbraImapSSLBindPort 993

there were a few other questions which i can't remember at the moment.
    Cheers.
    Well ask away whenever you remember!

Just to orient you a bit:

Bugs & RFE's (requests for enhancements) can be filed/voted for in Bugzilla & tracked (see priorities & what release their going into) via PMweb.

The blog has lots of good articles - you might checkout: Open Source Product Management: How do features get into Zimbra?

Last but definitely not least - the Wiki has all sorts of good collective knowledge in it

Hi,

Sorry, yes i was referring to buying hosting from one of your partners.

With regards to the polling of external accounts does this take place in the background on the server? E.g. the user doesn't have to be logged into their webmail for this to happen, or even for them to press the get mail button?

The ideal solution that i am looking for is where the server continually polls my external accounts and pulls any mail into my zimbra mailbox so that when i log into it will always be up to date and new mails from external accounts arrive without me forcing a "get mail"

Regards