Thread: Aliasing several addresses to one account

Default Aliasing several addresses to one account

Is it possible and if so how do I alias several addresses to one or two actual user accounts? I'd prefer to save on actual accounts since I'm paying for licensing.

zmprov aaa account@domain.com alias@domain.com

Or via the admin console gui > account > aliases tab.

Working fine, thanks. Now how do I setup rules based forwarding to certain accounts?

Also, I assume that the stock system accounts don't count in my licensing scheme? Is there anyway to control which accounts are part of my paid-for licenses?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Now how do I setup rules based forwarding to certain accounts?
    Not quite sure what you mean ? Does this answer your question User Alias Mapping and Mail Transport with Postfix & LDAP - Zimbra :: Wiki ?

I don't think so. I'd like mail addressed to say an alias user only to be filtered to certain actual users based on which alias user it's addressed to or the subject line for example.

Any ideas on my licensing question?

I'm not completely sure what you're asking but it occurs to me you may be unfamiliar with how the aliasing works.

Say you have a user@domain.com with 3 aliases; manager@domain.com, admin@domain.com, & info@domain.com.

Any mail sent to any 4 of those addresses will all arrive in the user@domain.com's inbox. If you're looking to move incoming messages to specific folders then look into Preferences->Mail Filters for the user@domain.com account.

So, how do the paid-for user accounts get accounted for? How do I know I'm using licenses? How can I make generic accounts that don't take up licenses?

So, how do the paid-for user accounts get accounted for? How do I know I'm using licenses? How can I make generic accounts that don't take up licenses?
    Also, I assume that the stock system accounts don't count in my licensing scheme? Is there anyway to control which accounts are part of my paid-for licenses?
    Ok, so you don't 'pick and choose':
    -Actual physical accounts count against license numbers.
    -You can have as many aliases to an account as you want.
    -ham/spam/wiki/resources/distribution lists don't count.
    -Yes the admin is a user - you can rename it or make any other account an admin instead.
    -Closed accounts still count against license numbers. (It's like a soft delete to bounce messages/prevent login but still hold old mail just in-case a few weeks later you need them/the mail back.)

I don't think so. I'd like mail addressed to say an alias user only to be filtered to certain actual users based on which alias user it's addressed to or the subject line for example.
    So you want:
    account@domain.com
    alias@domain.com
    alias2@domain.com (sometimes mail for this account has -Manager- in the subject so use a mail filter (ZWC>Preferences>Mail Filters) to forward to manager@domain.com)

Don't know exactly what you're trying to accomplish but if you want 1 account holding tons of aliases you might use filters and shares instead:
    account@domain.com
    alias@domain.com (filtered into shared folder)
    alias2@domain.com (filtered into shared folder)
    alias3@domain.com (filtered into shared folder)

If you share the send folder of account@domain.com with these people as well the outgoing replies will be shown to all with the share.
    Else you might want to use sender_bcc_maps/recipient_bcc_maps to make sure particular users are copied on replies (or where the subject line changes...) etc.

Are you looking for a local-only account that doesn't use up a license and doesn't use internet mail? Something that just works for internal/lan mail + wiki/briefcase/instant messenger/etc? If so, I'm not sure that exists.

Otherwise it seems like you're trying to find ways to skirt the licensing restrictions, and I'm sure you wouldn't be asking Zimbra how to do that

Quote Originally Posted by Stergil View Post
    Are you looking for a local-only account that doesn't use up a license and doesn't use internet mail? Something that just works for internal/lan mail + wiki/briefcase/instant messenger/etc? If so, I'm not sure that exists.

Otherwise it seems like you're trying to find ways to skirt the licensing restrictions, and I'm sure you wouldn't be asking Zimbra how to do that
    I'm buying licenses for 25 users and only have 12 but I just wanted it clearly defined as to when a license is used. Local-only accounts, that's a good question.

I definitely am not trying to skirt anything - very happy with the software and I'm ecstatic that I have some latitude in rewarding such good work with a purchase
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 05-14-2008 at 11:39 AM.