Thread: Migration from Exchange into Zimbra

Question Migration from Exchange into Zimbra

I have heard from a fellow administrator about how few technical support calls the help desk has been receiving since switching to Zimbra. While I don't know all that much about the product I have a few questions before I can seriously ponder migration to it.

1.) Is there a way to transition/convert mailboxes and calendars from Exchange Server 2003 into the latest version of Zimbra?
    2.) How nicely does Zimbra play with active directory?
    3.) What kind of hardware would I be looking at for a dedicated server with 50 users needing Zimbra? (I would prefer to utilize an OS like Ubuntu or Fedora)
    4.) Are there other administrators here who have purchased the mobility connector for blackberry? How well does this work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by lanec View Post
    1.) Is there a way to transition/convert mailboxes and calendars from Exchange Server 2003 into the latest version of Zimbra?
    There's an Exchange migration wizard (works with Exchange 2000, 2003, and 5.5) that will import email, calendar, and address book information for the selected Exchange users.

The import process replicates the user’s Outlook folder hierarchy, importing email messages, calendars, address books, and distribution lists from the Exchange server. Any keywords are converted to tags in ZCS. Unless the migration wizard is run on a machine with Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007, tasks will not be imported. Pretty sure that other Outlook types, including notes, rules and alerts, and files are not imported last I checked.

There is open RFE's: Bug 10545 - support import/migration/sync of outlook notes (notes > documents would be a little more work) & Bug 10733 - Exchange Migration Wizards import filter rules

Documentation on it here: /docs/ne/latest/migration_wizard_for_exchange_installation_guide/

After you install, visit your admin console gui download section to grab it or you can find it located at http:// server.domain.com/downloads/index.html

2.) How nicely does Zimbra play with active directory?
    You can use AD/LDAP for authentication: LDAP Authentication - Zimbra :: Wiki
    You may also wish to vote for / support ticket tag / cc watch: Bug 7235 - Auto Provision New Accounts with External LDAP

You could always go the otherway and use Zimbra instead of AD! (But I realize that's not what your asking right now.)
    UNIX and Windows Accounts in Zimbra LDAP and Zimbra Admin UI - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Video on it: http://gallery.zimbra.com/zimbra_samba/zimbrasamba.html - Video

3.) What kind of hardware would I be looking at for a dedicated server with 50 users needing Zimbra? (I would prefer to utilize an OS like Ubuntu or Fedora)
    I would use at least 2GB RAM, you probably don't need anything spectacular on the CPU's.
    RAID 5 would be OK for you, but not recommended for setups with more than 100 users Raid 5 is slower to write lots of tiny files because each disk in the array must be updated (the data stripe and the checksum strip - Raid 1+0 or other options would be better then.

If those are your only 2 platform choices I would use Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
    Planned: Bug 23154 - Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron
    Another common free distribution is CentOS inplace of RHEL.
    NE or FOSS? Compare ZCS Editions
    If you're planning to use FOSS I would still recommend using a platform listed on the NE download page as by virtue they get stricter testing: /products/downloads.html
    FOSS DL page: /community/downloads.html

4.) Are there other administrators here who have purchased the mobility connector for blackberry? How well does this work for you?
    Seems you want an outside non-employee opinion so I'll leave other's to jump in

Personal view: ZCB/BES is way better than the prior NotifyLink route (though you still can do that if you wanted).
    Zimbra is actually the fourth company ever to support native BES integration (others being IBM, Microsoft, & Novell) and the only open source platform to do it.

Oh and before I forget: Welcome to the forums!

Thank you for the very informative reply to my original post. I have spent the better part of the afternoon reading up on your software and the wiki. I will be a bit busy the rest of this evening but should be able to post again tomorrow.

Thanks again,
    Lane