Thread: Some outgoing mail has [Junk] in subject

Default Some outgoing mail has [Junk] in subject

Running ZCS 5.0.2 Network Edition. A few days ago, some of my own outgoing email to people and one listserv has randomly had [Junk] inserted into the subject line, even though the headers show it clearly passing all SPAM tests. I've checked to verify that our server isn't on any blacklists.

I've stopped / started all services, even rebooted the server.

Anyone else seen this issue?

Default Isolated the cause - but still no fix available

Evidently,

the [junk] in the subject line of my outgoing email only occurs when I'm using my Sprint EVDO modem and occurs with all of my email accounts on our ZCS 5.0.5 Network Edition server.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm getting spanked by every listserv I'm on!

is this using the web client or what?

Default Mail Client is:

Mail.app on Mac OS X

i'm not sure what that is, but if it's a separate mail application, is it using zimbra to send the mail, or is it sending through sprint's smtp server? and if the latter, do you have a spf record for your domain? if you do, then using sprint's smtp server as your outgoing may be causing this.

Default Using Zimbra as the SMTP Server

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    i'm not sure what that is, but if it's a separate mail application, is it using zimbra to send the mail, or is it sending through sprint's smtp server? and if the latter, do you have a spf record for your domain? if you do, then using sprint's smtp server as your outgoing may be causing this.
    I'm connecting directly to our ZCS server using SMTP/TLS and IMAP/SSL - no using Sprint's servers. I'm positive it's the ZCS server that's tagging my outgoing messages - not sure why - possibly Amavisd is referencing a blacklist that contains the Sprint netblock(s).

Is there any facility in ZCS I can reference to trace the source of the tagging?

I've experienced the exact same issue on a Verizon EVDO Modem. Upon my checking, it appears a significant portion of IP space in the cellular networks are tagged as spam sources by various blacklists, and as such, are weighting the score on your email. I believe BUG 12277 addresses the issue nicely, proposing that mail that was sent by an authenticated source (like an actual user utilizing SMTP AUTH) would bypass the spam filters. As of right now, I'm not sure there's a good workaround other than whitelisting or hacking the conf files... which each have their own unique positive and negative points.

Robert