Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to get calendar item notes MIME part

Default Unable to get calendar item notes MIME part

I'm receiving a Network Service Error in the calendar portion of the web client, Zimbra 5.0.4. NE.

The message is:
    A Network Service Error Has Occurred
    msg: system failure: Unable to get calendar item notes MIME part
    code: service.FAILURE
    method: GetMiniCalRequest
    detail: soap:Receiver
    trace: btpool0-5275:1210800348331:14b0fcd43a7e19ec

I'm not sure what could be triggering this, but whenever clicking on the Calendar tab or trying to navigate through the calendar, the message constantly pops up. Using the web client only.

Could someone please decipher this message? Thx!
    Last edited by cirrus_blue; 05-14-2008 at 04:13 PM.

I would also like a reply to this. One of my users is currently getting this message and is not able to access her calendar at all. I submitted a support ticket this morning but have not had any reply yet. Fairly frustrating.

See if you can nail it down to which event by enabling the below then tail -f /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log while creating the error:
    zmprov aal user@domain.com zimbra.calendar debug

Well, it gives me the following....I can't tell what event it is but maybe you can.

2008-07-29 15:51:09,623 DEBUG [btpool0-7269] [name=*********;aname=********;mid=70;ip=192.168.10 0.83;ua=ZimbraWebClient - FF2.0 (Linux)/5.0.4_GA_2101.RHEL5_64;] calendar - RECURRENCE EXPANSION for appt/task 19026: start=1214712000000, end=1218340800000; took 0ms
    2008-07-29 15:51:09,626 INFO [btpool0-7269] [name=*************;aname=********;mid=70;ip=192.16 8.100.83;ua=ZimbraWebClient - FF2.0 (Linux)/5.0.4_GA_2101.RHEL5_64;] SoapEngine - handler exception
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: Unable to get calendar item notes MIME part
    ExceptionId:btpool0-7269:1217361069626:c4aee98935eb300e
    Code:service.FAILURE
    at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE (ServiceException.java:253)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.calendar.Invite.getDescripti on(Invite.java:728)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.calendar.Invite.getDescripti on(Invite.java:643)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.calendar.cache.FullInstanceD ata.<init>(FullInstanceData.java:152)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.calendar.cache.CalendarCache .reloadCalendarItemOverRange(CalendarCache.java:16 2)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.calendar.cache.CalendarCache .reloadCalendarOverRange(CalendarCache.java:250)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.calendar.cache.CalendarCache .getCalendarSummary(CalendarCache.java:302)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.getCalendarSummaryFo rRange(Mailbox.java:6928)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.GetMiniCal.doLocalFolde r(GetMiniCal.java:112)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.GetMiniCal.handle(GetMi niCal.java:88)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:391)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:250)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:156)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:266)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:727)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:177)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:820)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(Ser vletHolder.java:487)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
    at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserA gentFilter.java:81)
    at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter .java:132)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(Se rvletHandler.java:360)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle( SecurityHandler.java:216)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(Se ssionHandler.java:181)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(Co ntextHandler.java:716)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebA ppContext.java:406)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle (HandlerCollection.java:114)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:139)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(Re writeHandler.java:176)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:139)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:313)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(Htt pConnection.java:506)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.co ntent(HttpConnection.java:844)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser. java:644)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:205)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnec tion.java:381)
    at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(Selec tChannelEndPoint.java:396)
    at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.ru n(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)
    Caused by: javax.mail.internet.ParseException: Expected ';', got "Legrand"
    at javax.mail.internet.ParameterList.<init>(Parameter List.java:268)
    at javax.mail.internet.ContentType.<init>(ContentType .java:100)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.calendar.Invite.getDescripti on(Invite.java:713)
    ... 38 more

Did this help at all? I really need to get this issue resolved, it's starting to affect more and more people as anyone trying to view this person's calendar gets the error. It would also be nice if I got a response to the support case I created since it has now been there for 24 hours and I still haven't gotten ANY response. 00027442

Let's go for a brute force approach to find and remove the appointment containing the bad data. Get the user's mailbox id with a mysql query:

mysql> select id from zimbra.mailbox where comment='<email address>';

Then go to /opt/zimbra/store/0/<mailbox id>/msg directory, and grep all files looking for "Legrand". Some of the files will be appointments, others email messages. You only care about appointments. Those have top-level content type of multipart/digest.

The error message was saying it MIME parser found unexpected string "Legrand" while parsing a Content-Type line. If you see that pattern in the files, please post the relevant parts here. Save copies and add to the support case too, in case further analysis is needed.

Let's assume you found the offending file. The filename is x-y.msg. x is the item id and y is revision. You can delete this item using zmmailbox command:

zmmailbox -z -m <email address> deleteItem <item id>
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Well, I've narrowed it down to 4 potential calendar entries. None seemed to have anything wrong with the "Content-type" line, though I'm pretty sure I know it's one of two. One appears to have some attachments or something so it's got a ton of garbled binary data. The other potential was obviously originated from Windows and has the extra control characters at the end of each line....none of the others had these extra characters.

I would prefer not to delete these, is there a way I can like just remove them from the calendar to ensure which one it is and then add it back? What would happen if I just physically move the .msg file to some temporary directory? Would I get some big error because the database still refers to this file but the file is no longer there?

You can create a new calendar folder and move all suspect appointments to that calendar. That'll get your main calendar working again. Find the offending appointment, and submit it to the support case.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

I'd like to jump in here because we had exactly the same problem. I submitted it to support (complete with an .ics dump of the event and the actual invite that created the problem, case #00022960) and it has kind of languished with support despite it being a real time bomb. A single invite took down our Dean's calendar and the calendars of all of the people who shared his calendar.

Let me describe how we were able to track down the offending event and just what caused it. I can't promise that this exactly matches your situation, but perhaps it will help.

First off, the way we found the event was to essentially page through the user's calendar, month by month until we had that error message pop up. Once you do that, you can then switch to week view and perhaps finally day view to finally determine which event is causing the problem (you'll get the error message when you hover over the right one). In our case, the user had a good guess as to which event had recently come in and that made narrowing the search down easier.

I suppose one could also find it by exporting the user's calendar and attempting to import it again to another scratch user's calendar. It should throw a better error that way. If you really want to get gnarly, I believe I have the necessary SQL (provided by support the first time I reported the problem) to find all calendar events with attachments.

Here's how the problem was created for us: the event in question was caused by an invite sent to this user from Lotus Notes that had an attachment. The attachment had a comma in its name, but Lotus notes did not properly quote it on the outgoing mail. The specific header in question said:

Code:
    Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name=SBI Meeting Notes - May 19, 2008.doc
    According to RFC2045, certain characters have to be quoted or in quotes if they are to be used as a parameter value in a MIME header:

Code:
        tspecials := "(" / ")" / "<" / ">" / "@" / "," / ";" / ":" / "\" / <"> "/" / "[" / "]" / "?" / "=" ; Must be in quoted-string, ; to use within parameter values
    As you can see above, Notes clearly blows it in this regard. Somehow Zimbra incorporated the event from the invite but created a broken attachment and this makes everything go blooey. At my request the main Notes admin here submitted this as a bug to IBM. He has been told that it has been escalated to their development group for a subsequent fix. I also asked the person who sent the invite to change her file naming scheme (as they say in vaudeville, if your arm hurts when you move it a certain way, don't move it that way).

I assert that the Zimbra folks need to fix their parsing code so that it doesn't create a poison event. The person who was handling our support case (not naming names here) said he could not get the invite to be accepted via zmlmtpinject because it threw parse errors and he was going to file a request to have their parser handle this better. And that's where it got left with me despite my nervous pleas.

One alternate theory I have is this event got accepted by Mail.app/iCal into the user's calendar and then injected into the Zimbra calendar by the iSync Connector (i.e. it didn't get into the system in a way that zmlmtpinject could replicate, it came in a back door). No one from Zimbra has told me if they have tested that possibility even though I mentioned this theory to them.

In any case, I assert this situation is bad news and actually needs to be hunted down with a little more vigor. I feel your pain and would be glad to help if I can in any way.

-- dNb

Upgrade to at least 5.0.5 and this is no longer a problem.

In 5.0.4, the error should only occur when in a message or calendar view that contains the event referencing the attachment with the malformed header, and reloading the web client will get things going again.