Thread: a few questions before I install

Default a few questions before I install

Hi folks! I have been reading about Zimbra and now I would like to try it after seeing the type of great community support in these forums. Of course I need to make sure it will actually do what my company needs it to do. Please bear with me.

(i) OpenLDAP is included with Zimbra but we already Novell and Netscape directories in different parts of the company. I think OpenLDAP is only used for account authentication right? So can Novell and Netscape directory servers be complete replacements for OpenLDAP?

(ii) shared calendars and great but for use we really need a shared address book through out the entire company. Preferably even multiple shared address books. Does Zimbra store all address book in MySQL? What if we are using Apple Mail or Thunderbird email clients......can we use the contact information in Zimbra and have it be present in these email clients?

(iii) this is linked to question above. I see GAL in Zimbra. Is this only a address book containing information about Zimbra users on a local server or can other non-company people's information be stored in GAL too?

(iv) Blackberry wireless syncing is listed as one feature on www.zimbra.com site but I did not see it in features pdf file. Is this feature available right now in ver 3.0? We would need to wirelessly sync address book and calendar. Possible?

(v) how stable is SOAP interface to Zimbra? If we want to use it to link it to our accounting system for customer lists.

I look forward to learning about this with you all!

thx....Bob

ok so GAL is only for local Zimbra users and not external company contacts

I wish we could have a shared contact list in Zimbra which could also be used by third party email clients. So right now integrated can a shared contact list be if I have my contacts in a LDAP server?

Quote Originally Posted by boblewkowitz
    Hi folks! I have been reading about Zimbra and now I would like to try it after seeing the type of great community support in these forums. Of course I need to make sure it will actually do what my company needs it to do. Please bear with me.
    Welcome!
    (i) OpenLDAP is included with Zimbra but we already Novell and Netscape directories in different parts of the company. I think OpenLDAP is only used for account authentication right? So can Novell and Netscape directory servers be complete replacements for OpenLDAP?
    Zimbra needs OpenLDAP for the account and config information. So it must stay, but it's easy to setup Zimbra so that auth is against your current LDAP directory. This let's you maintain passwords in one place.

(ii) shared calendars and great but for use we really need a shared address book through out the entire company. Preferably even multiple shared address books. Does Zimbra store all address book in MySQL? What if we are using Apple Mail or Thunderbird email clients......can we use the contact information in Zimbra and have it be present in these email clients?
    Looks like you got the answer to this already. Shared contacts is on our list.

(iii) this is linked to question above. I see GAL in Zimbra. Is this only a address book containing information about Zimbra users on a local server or can other non-company people's information be stored in GAL too?
    Local only.

(iv) Blackberry wireless syncing is listed as one feature on www.zimbra.com site but I did not see it in features pdf file. Is this feature available right now in ver 3.0? We would need to wirelessly sync address book and calendar. Possible?
    Wireless sync is coming soon.

(v) how stable is SOAP interface to Zimbra? If we want to use it to link it to our accounting system for customer lists.

I look forward to learning about this with you all!

thx....Bob
    It's pretty stable. We use it internally and for all our sync clients so we don't try to change it much. That said there will be minor changes to fix bugs and add new features. So far those have been backwards compatible.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

THX KevinH: can someone @ Zimbra please give rough time estimates for wireless sync and shared contacts features? Or more information about them instead. Like will shared contacts be offered to third party email clients via LDAP interface like how emails in Zimbra can be accessed through IMAP and POP? Will wireless sync feature be included in opensource version or will it depend on external software like the Blackberry enterprise server? For now I will install it on my desktop and I will hopefully be able to install it for other team members when above features are in a release

THX KevinH: can someone @ Zimbra please give rough time estimates for wireless sync and shared contacts features? Or more information about them instead. Like will shared contacts be offered to third party email clients via LDAP interface like how emails in Zimbra can be accessed through IMAP and POP? Will wireless sync feature be included in opensource version or will it depend on external software like the Blackberry enterprise server? For now I will install it on my desktop and I will hopefully be able to install it for other team members when above features are in a release
    We don't have dates for these features. It will be sometime this year. There are lots of other things we are working on and as they are ready for beta you'll hear about them here. The goal for the first cut at the over-the-air sync will be late Q1. Some options will require a server others will be native to Zimbra. For example Treo's will be able to sync naively, but SyncML phones will need a SyncML server in the middle.

You can see a rough roadmap here:
    http://www.zimbra.com/products/roadmap.html

Shared contacts have not been designed yet so it's unclear on how they will work.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.