Thread: 800x600 redirect in 5.0.6

Default 800x600 redirect in 5.0.6

I see that Bug 27521 - Redirect to lite client for 800x600 screens is implemented in 5.0.6. While I have not upgraded yet, I don't know if I like this capability. I still have a handful of users that are using 800x600 that don't like the basic client, yet if there were a simple skin for the advanced client would work out well.
    1) After I upgrade, can I disable this redirect?
    2) Is there a good skin/mods to streamline the interface for the low res crowd on the advanced client?
    Thanks
    Derek

I would like to override this behavior also. This really threw some users for a loop. Some are on thin clients and older machines with limited screen resolution capabilities.

Any workaround to this?
    Mark Street, D.C., RHCE
    Chief Technology Officer
    Alliance Medical Center

Is the forcing of Standard HTML in 800x600 a bug or by design?

I can't believe this is by design. This floors me.

I'm not really taking sides on this issue, but I don't know why it should surprise anyone. If I remember correctly, 800x600 has NEVER been an "officially" supported resolution with Zimbra's advanced client. Perhaps they got tired of supporting a resolution they don't officially support?

The fact that it used to work doesn't matter except that it has built expectations in the users...and now we server admins are going to pay the price.

We notified users ahead of time....but it won't matter. I'd tell them to go buy a bigger monitor, but I've heard stories of users who got a big 19" monitor and still use 800x600. Maybe they'll be happy when each pixel is a centimeter in size.

Matt

Sorry guys, didn't realize how bad the impact would be.

History/Reasoning:

For the advanced client our minimum specs have been 1024x768. This bug will address whatever is possible as issues are discovered for both the AJAX & HTML clients: Bug 23449 - Support for 800x600 Screen Resolution on Web Client There's also approaches like: Bug 21311 - Hide labels when toolbars don't have enough space

So what we did in Bug 27521 - Redirect to lite client for 800x600 screens was include a little snip of code:
    Code:
     if (screen.width <= 800 && screen.height <= 600) { switchToStandardClient(); }
    However, it's in launchZCS.jsp which means it gets loaded every time; thus you can't select advanced AJAX at login, click the advanced button inside, or change the URL to get rid /h/ as it'll just be forced back. And as the standard client doesn't have things like documents or briefcase, it further compounds the issue for users.

Temp Solution/Workaround for 5.0.6:
    Should be able to edit /opt/zimbra/mailboxd/webapps/zimbra/public/launchZCS.jsp (comment out or change minimum values even lower like 720x480) & restart Zimbra for it to apply.

Future Fixes:
    I like the idea of looking into doing it on login screen instead (login.jsp). Then just change the "Which version would you like to use?" drop down to standard HTML like we do for unsupported browsers. (ZLoginInfoMessage > ZLoginUnsupported "Note that your web browser does not fully support the Advanced version. We strongly recommend that you use the Standard client.") Thus users will be able to change it back to Advanced AJAX manually, or change it later after login.

Some still need it an option to prevent the users from even being bothered - vote for / support ticket tag / CC watch: Bug 28471 - option to disable redirect to lite client for 800x600 screens

Quote Originally Posted by dagar View Post
    1) After I upgrade, can I disable this redirect?
    Yes, e
    dit /opt/zimbra/mailboxd/webapps/zimbra/public/launchZCS.jsp
    Code:
    if (screen.width <= 800 && screen.height <= 600) { switchToStandardClient(); }
    Change the minimum value lower to like 720x480 or 640x480.
    zmmailboxdctl restart
    Quote Originally Posted by dagar View Post
    2) Is there a good skin/mods to streamline the interface for the low res crowd on the advanced client?
    Just realized you we're the starter of http://www.zimbra.com/forums/users/1...600-theme.html seemed no one was up for making a community skin as of then - but you can have a crack at one: ZWC 5.0 Themes