Thread: [SOLVED] Login in to several different account from the same browser...

Default [SOLVED] Login in to several different account from the same browser...

Hi,

Is there a way to not be logged off from an account when login in to another account from the same Web navigator ? I often have to test things from different accounts and I'm always logged off from all accounts I've opened a session?

This is intentional in 5.0.x - while 4.5.x let you have more than one session against the same server open in a single browser session, there's just too much that can go wrong. This is not specific for Zimbra but any session based application.

What you can do:

A) Use an alias domain mail.domain.com > webmail.domain.com and log one user into each. You can also put webmail.domain.com in the virtual hosts tab of the domain to make login smoother/avoid typing the full username@domain.com if you have several domains.

Might not be scalable however, because if you're wanting 8 accounts open that'd be 8 webmailX.domains.com values to setup in DNS.

So if it was me, I would prefer to just make a wildcard-subdomain *.server.domain.com -> server.domain.com and have the users log in to username.server.domain.com.

B) Run multiple browsers (ie FF/Safari/IE)

C) Run multiple browser sessions of the same browser (search the web for more info).

For example-
    Guide to running several independent instances of Firefox: Running two Firefox profiles simultaneously - redemption in a blog

In short, close all your FF instances, run firefox -profilemanager, craete newProfileName, open firefox, then run firefox -P newProfileName -no-remote

You can use this extension to change the window title of the running instances:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/31

D) Want another easy browser to setup? You could use prism: Mozilla Labs » Featured Projects

E) Use sharing! Plus, we now have shared mail folders in 5.0.x: /blog/archives/2007/08/shared-folders.html

F) Share the send folder as well for keeping track of conversations, and it will be easy to reply as the user because of the built in on-behalf sending.

G) If you just need to be able to send as those users, you could setup a persona.
    (You may need to set options like 'allow sending from any address' or spell them out specifically.)

H) If you just need to receive as these users and no one else does just do aliases

I) Forwarding if you want to keep an archive or something instead.

J) If it's just like one or 2 other accounts & you need full control over all these / own them anyways - try family mailboxes:
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/users/1...html#post67320

(on-behalf takes care of the username when you send)
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-28-2008 at 05:27 PM.

Hey, I was far from thinking that we can implement this Parent-child account system. It's just waht I'll need for my organization !
    Searching for one thing I found another very needed one !
    Will go throught all that. Thanks a lot !

mmorse:
    I tried the Family mailboxes and using the cli I have my "personal's account" into my "work's account" but it's unusable because when I select something in the second account I'm logged-off... Everything done with the ZWC.
    I suppose that's not what it should be...

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    A) Use an alias domain mail.domain.com > webmail.domain.com and log one user into each. You can also put webmail.domain.com in the virtual hosts tab of the domain to make login smoother/avoid typing the full username@domain.com if you have several domains.
    I first thought that creating something like user1, user2, user3 etc... in the Virtual host pane for the main domain would allow me tu loggin with my-name@user1.domaine.com and my-name2@user2.domaine.com using the ZWC but.. I tried and I,
    Was dreaming...
    It would have been a simple way to allow multiple loggins. I always use several tab in FF or Safari.
    I suppose you said it ovoids typing the full login but this is interesting only for domains' name being very long.
    What's would be interesting is to implement a way for a user to type a kind of loggin ID that would be unique for all hosted domains and sub-domains and allowing to forget about the domain or sub-domain name no ?
    Like this an user would type only a few chars and his/her password and would be directed directly to his/her account.

Might not be scalable however, because if you're wanting 8 accounts open that'd be 8 webmailX.domains.com values to setup in DNS.
    Yes and I don't really understand why updating DNS is needed in the case I'm mentioning. Once I'm in front of the login session page in the ZWC I'm already connected to the Zimbra server so I don't really understand why I should update DNS for this purpose.

So if it was me, I would prefer to just make a wildcard-subdomain *.server.domain.com -> server.domain.com and have the users log in to username.server.domain.com.
    Ok, thanks for all will manage with several browsers as it is the simplest way.

I tried Prism on Mac OS X and on Vista but it doesn't work with auto-signed certificates so...

or alternatively, you can use CookiePie. It's a firefox extension, than enables you multiple sessions. Very simple.

Yeah...
    Thanks you preem, this one is what I was looking for..
    Very easy...
    :-)

If I open a new browser windows as opposed to a new tab I am able to open multiple accounts.