Thread: Green Bubbely Notifcations

Question Green Bubbely Notifcations

Hey Everyone,

I am running 5.0.2 and soon to be upgrading to the current. I am woundering if there is a way to disable the green bubble notifcations that appear at the top of the interface. Thanks.

If you have the IM feature disabled it will be removed.

Reason it was added:
    Right now a user can only see his IM presence when he's in the IM app. Users need to be able to see it no matter what app they're currently using. This will solve the problem where people never get their IMs because they have auto login turned off. This will also help users who keep multiple ZWCs running at once. They have no way of knowing which of their clients is the currently connected one.
    You can see the affected files in Bug 26320 - IM presence should always be visible

Oh I see -you're talking the 'toast' notification, that used to be in the lower left in 4.5.x. beneath the mini cal area & is now a floating div.

I'm unaware of a feature to completely remove them, & they really do show important things like errors in preferences etc.

If you want to remove green buddy notifications from that area though, uncheck "Display presence notifications" & "Display notification when a buddy changes status" in preferences tab > IM tab.

1) presence notifications: will show up when a buddy changes presence, i.e. becomes away / returns from away
    2) status notifications: will show up when a buddy changes the status text, but not presence
    Last edited by mmorse; 06-07-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: description of options

Smile 'toast' notification

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was referring to the 'toast' notification. I have gotten some complaints from users who say it is intrusive and inconsistent with the rest of the interface. I was just hoping their was a way to disable it, or even better, return it to the older behavior. Thanks again.

Do they get that many 'toasts' after turning off the buddy notifications?
    ("Display presence notifications" & "Display notification when a buddy changes status")
    -After you turn those off they shouldn't get much besides 'preferences/filters saved' unless doing a bad action.

I don't know of an easy way to return it to the old location, it was put there primarily because people weren't noticing errors in the bottom left (working with stuff in the top area and might not move their eye down) it can be larger to contain more of the problem than a short snip, plus more room for the left tree area.

If they still want those you could file an RFE for an option to only display them in the IM tab, or change their location in the IM tab. (Put in the action bar, bottom, or just bring down the messages slightly so not over the toolbar area.)

I see what you mean if you have tons of buddies changing status it might prevent clicking on toolbar items, or be annoying - but that's why we have the disable options.

I think the concern is less over its use for buddy notification but more when it does things like inform you "external account loaded" and things of that nature. The UI logic I try to follow with my projects is to only be loud when something is wrong. I get the since in this case, a developer, wanted to show off the new notification and made it too active (I have made the mistake myself of wanted to show off a new feature too zealously). So I guess I want to keep IM notifications and error notifications, but turn off all other notifications. Just my 2 cents. This is not a huge deal, its just a concern of some of my users I wanted to follow up on. Thanks.

some of my users are also asking on how these notifications can be removed. This is inside the web interface. For instance they don't need to know that the trash has been removed after clicking the empty trash icon. If there would be a way for it to only display certain items like errors and new mail that would be great.