Thread: Migrating from CentOS 4.5 to CentOS 5.1

Question Migrating from CentOS 4.5 to CentOS 5.1

Hi all,

I'm trying to move my Zimbra Community Edition install from an old server to a new one. They are both the same Architecture - x86_64. The old system is running CentOS 4.5, and the new one is running CentOS 5.1. I've spent a few days trolling through the forums and the wiki to help me out with the problems I've been having. Here is the process I've come up with so far:

1. Make sure zimbra on the original system is up-to-date. In this case, I updated to 5.0.6
    2. Install a clean version of Zimbra (same version) on the new machine.
    3. Shut down zimbra on both systems.
    4. Sync over data directories - /opt/zimbra as the root, for store, data, conf, openldap-data, db/data, logger/db/data
    5. Run /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms on the new system (as root)
    6. Run /opt/zimbra/bin/zmhostname <newhostname> on the new system (as zimbra)
    7. Start Zimbra on the new system.

After following this process, all of the zimbra services start up. A zmcontrol status will show that all of the systems are running.

The problem that I am encountering is with zmmailboxd. My mail clients appear to connect to it, but basically hang. The system shows a network connection between my desktop and the server. The log file for zmmailboxd shows a large number of errors, with two lines repeating until a stack overflow error occurs:

Code:
            at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.isTempWorkDirectory(WebAppContext.java:756)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.getTempDirectory(WebAppContext.java:718)
    Attempts to connect to the webmail client, or the admin console are met with 404 return codes:

Code:
    HTTP ERROR: 404

NOT_FOUND

RequestURI=/

Powered by jetty://

From my limited experience with Jetty, and the research I've done, it appears that Jetty is trying to find a temp directory that doesn't exist, but I can't tell where, or if, I should create one.

So, the two big questions are:

1) Is there anything missing from my process above?
    2) Where should I go from here to debug / resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

-Steve J.

I had similar problem not exactly the same and I solved cleaning the
    /tmp directory before starting zimbra.

make sure no other application is using /tmp before you clean it

[]s

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Your new server should have the same IP and hostname as the original server, you should also make sure the uid/gid is the same for Zimbra user and the files.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

It can't have the same IP and Hostname as the original. I need to make sure that the new one works before I turn off the old one. And I can't have them both operational on the same IP address.

My understanding was that zmhostname fixed the system to use a different hostname.

As for the uid and gid, they're not the same #, but they are the same name. i.e. zimbra as uid 501 on the old system is uid 500 on the new system, but zmfixperms made sure that everything that needs to be owned by zimbra is.

Unless there are bugs with zmhostname and zmfixperms, where they are missing critical files or settings, I don't think that's the problem.

Also, the perms one can maybe affect Jetty's ability to find a useful temp directory, but if that's the case, can someone tell me *which* temp directory Jetty's having a problem with?

Also, Also, I've checked the entire directory tree. All files are owned by zimbra, root, or postfix.

I've also tried bonadio's suggestion of clearing out /tmp. No joy, I'm afraid.

Thanks again for any suggestions that may help me get through this.

Lightbulb A little late but for informational purpose

Well, today i ran into exactly the same problem moving zimba 5.06 to another server. The two servers were almost identical. Both Ubuntu 6.06, same version of zimbra installed, all seemed wonderful. But after rsyncing the zimbra directory from source to destination the web interface did not work. Error like described in thread. Zmfixperms did not help. After a while i realized that zimbra user id wasn't the same on source and destination. After changing zimbra user id to what it was on source server the web interface started working again. This is obviously a bug.
    Does anyone know if it's fixed in later versions?

No its not a bug, all the wiki documentation says the UID and GID must be the same on the target server.

Well, you are right it's mentioned in the wiki docs. However, in spite of now knowing what i was looking for, i could only find it in this Moving ZCS to Another Server » Zimbra :: Blog document of the admin powertips as a remark.

Default this solution worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.jacobson View Post
    Hi all,

I'm trying to move my Zimbra Community Edition install from an old server to a new one. They are both the same Architecture - x86_64. The old system is running CentOS 4.5, and the new one is running CentOS 5.1. I've spent a few days trolling through the forums and the wiki to help me out with the problems I've been having. Here is the process I've come up with so far:

1. Make sure zimbra on the original system is up-to-date. In this case, I updated to 5.0.6
    2. Install a clean version of Zimbra (same version) on the new machine.
    3. Shut down zimbra on both systems.
    4. Sync over data directories - /opt/zimbra as the root, for store, data, conf, openldap-data, db/data, logger/db/data
    5. Run /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms on the new system (as root)
    6. Run /opt/zimbra/bin/zmhostname <newhostname> on the new system (as zimbra)
    7. Start Zimbra on the new system.

After following this process, all of the zimbra services start up. A zmcontrol status will show that all of the systems are running.

The problem that I am encountering is with zmmailboxd. My mail clients appear to connect to it, but basically hang. The system shows a network connection between my desktop and the server. The log file for zmmailboxd shows a large number of errors, with two lines repeating until a stack overflow error occurs:

Code:
            at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.isTempWorkDirectory(WebAppContext.java:756)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.getTempDirectory(WebAppContext.java:718)
    Attempts to connect to the webmail client, or the admin console are met with 404 return codes:

Code:
    HTTP ERROR: 404

NOT_FOUND

RequestURI=/