Thread: Having two Zimbra servers vs. Postfix MTA

Default Having two Zimbra servers vs. Postfix MTA

We migrated from Postfix, had our MX records pointed at our old mail server, and our Zimbra server receiving mail from it. Since we moved the MX records to point to Zimbra we have started to have performance issues and we think it is related to botnet spam attacks and actual spam. Our graphs show huge increases in spam since.

My question is, will we notice larger performance gains by setting up a separate Zimbra server as an MTA over just pointing the MX records back if our performance problem is mostly file system? The web client was slow before we moved the MX records but, now it is painfully slow.

Another question, do we need to purchase anything additional to have two servers or will our current network license work on a split setup?

Default Waiting on an answer still.

Anyone have any thoughts at all?

The question in case I wasn't clear is... Would having a separate Zimbra server setup as an MTA server help reduce the load on our main server better than just pointing my MX records at a Postfix server; and then forwarding mail?

If I point the MX records away it will help by cleaning up spam before it hits the main server. However, the main server still does the postfix function which eats up resources. What I don't know here is if server load is reduced any by moving the Postfix away since, the server still has to get the mail one way or another.
    Last edited by atx4runner; 06-17-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Spam/Virus scanning is a killer on the CPU on an MTA. I like to keep mine separate.

I would suggest splitting your MTA off into a separate machine, but having it as a Zimbra MTA than just a standalone postfix installation.

The reason why is because Zimbra runs Postfix. It also has the LDAP hooks to verify whether or not addresses are valid when mail hits the MTA. It will also still be graphed in your Zimbra Admin Console. You can also still tune Postfix/SpamAssassin/whatever as needed on the Zimbra MTA just as you would on your standard Postfix installation..just be careful to save your changes and ensure they're in place after any Zimbra upgrades.

Thanks for the response! Yeah I hadn't thought of the Main server being able to monitor the MTA server if we go with Zimbra. That is a good point. I also like that I know virus and spam will be updated when we update the Zimbra servers.

Also, you don't need to purchase anything for an additional server. Zimbra is licensed based on the number of accounts you have set up, not the number of servers... go crazy!