Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Restoring a single mailbox

Question [SOLVED] Restoring a single mailbox

Is it possible to restore a single mailbox from the backups? I'd prefer not restoring an incremental or full backup and bringing back a bunch of items people had already deleted. That would create chaos for me.

Zimbra 5.0.6

Yes, you can restore a single account. Use the -a option and specify a username.

Network Edition Restore - Zimbra :: Wiki

The wiki mentions that it can be done from the Admin Console. Any idea how?? That's how I'd prefer doing it as I don't have a way to get to the Linux side of things.

I should mention, for clarification, that the account in question was deleted and needs restored. Not just missing emails or anything like that.
    Last edited by Jbrabander; 06-12-2008 at 03:57 PM.

On the left side of the admin console there's a Backups option under Tools. Expand it and select your server. Then you can click on the restore button across the top of the page once the backup sessions load. Once the wizard comes up you can select the option "Select accounts to restore".

Oh...I happened to find out how.

Double click on the backup you want, that brings up a list of accounts backed up. Select the account you want and click "restore" and go from there.

when I look at the restore WIKI located at Network Edition Restore - Zimbra :: Wiki, it states "Delete mailbox" as the first step in the process. I have a mailbox which I need to restore, however do not want to wipe the mailbox clean before starting the restore process. Can you confirm if the mailbox is removed/erased prior to restore process?
    Bill Rowland MCDST MCSA MCSE

You should be able to look at your list of accounts and see if the account exists before you even start the restore. But we haven't had to restore an existing account yet, only 2 that we knew were deleted.

I know the account mailbox exist, we have a person that deleted an email which they would like to have back. i have backup of their email box, but in fear that restore will wipe out all of their other email and restore back to the date on the restore.

And if you're a terminal fan: CLI zmrestore Network Edition only - Zimbra :: Wiki

If -ca -pre restored_ is used a new account is created named restored_user@domain.com
    You could then grab out the material you want from the store, fwd, connect a thick-client to both accounts, imapsync, share the restored account, add it as external, whatever.
    (Or choose to run the command without the new target/test account if you're sure of what you're doing.)

You could use CLI zmrestore restoreToTime Network Edition only - Zimbra :: Wiki and also have it restore to a new account as well:
    zmrestore -s server.domain.com -a user@domain.com -restoreToTime 20080512170331 -lb full-200xxxxxx -ca -pre restored_
    Notice how I'm specifying a full on that line, the -restoreToTime option replays redo log sequences until time specified. When using this command, use the -lb argument to specify a full backup that took place prior to the time of the backup you wish to restore.

So the restore process will delete the mailbox and then restore only the information contained within the backup file, correct? To restore into another folder, share the folder or use IMAP connection to both boxes is the only real way to accomplish the restore. Is there any imporvements for disaster recovery in Zimbra?