Thread: [SOLVED] New install RAID level? (400 users) + HSM SAN

Hybrid View

Question [SOLVED] New install RAID level? (400 users) + HSM SAN

About to install the latest network version 5.0.6GA. I have a Dell 2900 with 8 350GB drives, 16GB RAM, dual QuadCore Procs and RHEL 5x64 OS as the system.

Today I setup RAID 5 with 2 hot spares, planning for RHEL install tomorrow, but tonight I read RAID 5 not recomended over 100 users. I will have 400 users. The doc did not 'recommend' over 100 RAID config. What to do now, 10, or is 5 ok?

Also, I have a 4TB EMC fiber HBA connected SAN to setup for backend storage for HSM (not sure how that works yet, but still reading up on this). I am assuming RHEL will se this as another volume, so RAID 5 it for the HSM storage, or RAID 10, or???

Please advise..... I would like to be installing Zimbra by the weekend, but need the comfort of proper storage arrays.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You should use RAID10 for best performance.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

thank you Bill for answering, I value your input ..... I now know what i will be doing later today... bye to raid 5 and hello raid 10... quick one, on my 2nd volume HSM 4TB NAS backend for older emails... seems as this is not as intensive, so can i go raid 5 to get a few more GB's of space, or 10 again? If old email is not accessed that much, then would raid 5 be ok or do you recommend 10 again?

final.... does HSM store older emails in backend storage in a mysql db, or in a file structure... just curious, i haven't read far enough to see how hsm does this?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Anything that has low write activity should be OK with RAID5, it's the write performance that would kill you in a production environment. I don't know if you want to use RAID5 for your older email and keep an eye on performance, you could always change RAID levels later if you see any bottleneck.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

RAID5 on SATA2 harddrives (7200RPM) is quite "standard" for HSM and backup partitions.

Zimbra's "storage worksheet" uses this kind of setup.