Thread: Need some clarification on Blackberry support

Default Need some clarification on Blackberry support

So supposedly I can use our 5 Blackberrys with Zimbra. However, if I am to understand correctly, we need to run Blackberry Professional or Blackberry Enterprise Server, which as far as I can tell, runs only on Windows: BlackBerry - BlackBerry Professional Software

Do I have to have a Windows box somewhere, with exchange, just to run this and then install the connector? That seems incredibly round about!

We are a non Microsoft shop and I am loath to put a single MS product onto any servers in our happy little linux cluster. Is there a BES for Linux? Or is there a host I can sync my Zimbra server to? Frankly, I'm just confused.

I'm sure someone else I'm sure has already solved this problem elegantly, so please share your insight.

You are correct, you must use a Windows Server (or VM) running Win2k3 to run the connector. There is no Linux version of BES (and I wouldn't hold my breath). If you have 5 users, I would suggest just tossing together a little VM, use Win2k3 SME and use the free version of BES Professional (allows up to 30 users for only the cost of the client access license).

We too are a "Linux" shop, but unfortunately you need to use the right tool for the job and as much as it pains me to say, the right tool for this job is Windows.

Default Thanks for the reply

I guess VM is just they way to go here. Glad I installed the Virtualization packages with RHEL 5. SME? Is that small and medium sized enterprises? Is that the new SMB server? Or is that another edition of windows that I don't know about?

I'm assuming you say SMB because I need exchange? So basically I would need to set up Exchange, integrate it as a backup to Zimbra, install the Blackberry Professional and then I can use the Zimbra BE connector?

As for Windows being the right package, since it's the only packages, I guess it's the right package. Gotta love product lock in.

Looks like it's Iphone 3Gs for everyone!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help out.

I was suggesting SBE because it has been cheaper for us, but I imagine any version of Win2k3 would work. You do not install Exchange, Exchange is NOT needed.

There are also 3rd party BES providers. You can use one of those instead of setting up an entire server for 5 phones. Not sure what the cost associated with either option is, it won't run on Linux so I didn't investigate very far.