Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disable Junk filter for one account?

Default Disable Junk filter for one account?

Is this possible? I can't seem to see a setting.

Thanks,
    adam

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Not possible at present, it's a system wide AV/AS system. My question would be, why do you want that?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Because I don't want the mail filtered for one account.

Thanks for your answer.

adam

Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Because I don't want the mail filtered for one account.
    Yes, I'd guessed that but to clarify my question: why do you want this one account not to have the Junk filtered out of it?
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Yes, I'd guessed that but to clarify my question: why do you want this one account not to have the Junk filtered out of it?
    Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd like to have a spam trap or two to populate an in-house rbl.

Also, in an ISP environment, you're always going to get some joker who thinks the spam blocker is rejecting valid mail and will call you on the phone and show up at your office to tell you as much. Allowing that user to disable the junk filter and fill up their inbox with garbage does two things; 1) it makes them happy (if only briefly) and 2) it helps train the spam filter for everyone else when they spend 20 minutes each day marking a thousand messages as spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Oinos View Post
    ... and 2) it helps train the spam filter for everyone else when they spend 20 minutes each day marking a thousand messages as spam.
    That's a real waste of time for a user when the filters are trained automatically by Zimbra. Any Junk mail that's above the tag percentage goes straight into the Junk folder and a copy is also sent to the spam folder for training. No need for the user to see it, the only thing they need to do is if they have any false negatives in their Inbox. If a spam email is in their Inbox they need to hit the Junk button for trainging, additionally they need to check the Junk folder for false positives and hit the Not Junk button if it's a valid email.

Having said that, search bugzilla for an RFE to set spam filters for individual accounts and vote on it if you want to see it implemented.
    Regards

Bill

I used to use a catchall account on a domain to filter unwanted commercial mail: when I sign up on a site I use a unique email address, and when spam starts coming in on that email address I set it to bounce and report the muppet that sold my address to the data protection commissioner. I can't do that on Zimbra because it doesn't support bouncing, and I can't blackhole the junk because the junk filters work before the user filters. So I created a catchall account to feed the spammy addresses into and discard everything above 0 bytes. Unfortunately, because of the problem mentioned above, the majority of the mail goes into the Junk folder, which has to be manually deleted.

I really shouldn't have had to type all that...

adam

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That's a real waste of time for a user when the filters are trained automatically by Zimbra.
    I agree, however some users just seem to think they know more about things like this than the people who put the system together. Instead of talking to a wall about it, we just let them have what they want and move on.

Thanks for the suggestion of voting up an RFE. I'll do that.

Default Pop

Also a pain when the user has POP3 access to the account when a device/client doesn't support IMAP well. Means junk email outside the inbox sits unseen.

I dont think the idea of a junk mail switch per user account is a bad idea. If you did set up the the Bugzilla entry, it might be an idea to stick the reference in this thread.

K