Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDF file attachments gets corrupted

Default PDF file attachments gets corrupted

Hi.

I have a problem sending PDF's to some of my customers via Zimbra webinterface (only tried using the web GUI). I can't reproduce the same problem sending the same PDF file from ie. Gmail.

I've saved the 2 emails (the on with the problem and the one without) to eml files to look inside and I can see PDF files are attached differently:

PDF sent from Zimbra web GUI (this files gets corrupted on the customer end):

Code:
    snip

------=_Part_1982_12082751.1214481564556
    Content-Type: application/pdf; name=100075.pdf
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=100075.pdf

%PDF-1.4
    1 0 obj
    <<
    /Creator (Oracle10gR2 AS Reports Services)
    /CreationDate (D:20080626115829)
    /ModDate (D:20080626115829)
    /Producer (Oracle PDF driver)
    /Title (test@domain.com)
    /Author (Oracle Reports)
    >>
    endobj
    5 0 obj
    <</Length 6 0 R
    /Filter [/ASCII85Decode /FlateDecode]
    >>
    stream
    Gb!#\9lJcU&A9%PIi.8-+==e6gb8M'>,3H6''YLbPs[/mRKbC5VKRLjrV)jcIYa0.:bmDH%*R5m
    c/\6YbaY/O3^7+<A&&h-.a*5m^^<HdT"i&Fr]38j!bJ_l,V]/$4S4nnJ8j<?Tn(JHi9KhOL\NrY
    +>th!p?VP-9m(n3<8^sg!=QuIMU0VODAbu<o[WEnB,@2Ts8DCjW;]%LZ4Te+7Y"sf%pD(#c8n(#

snip
    PDF sent from gmail (the one that works):

Code:
    snip

------=_Part_1766_3760052.1214481631884
    Content-Type: application/pdf; name=100075.pdf
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
    X-Attachment-Id: f_fhxazrk00
    Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=100075.pdf

JVBERi0xLjQNCjEgMCBvYmoNCjw8DQovQ3JlYXRvciAoT3JhY2xlMTBnUjIgQVMgUmVwb3J0cyBT
    ZXJ2aWNlcykNCi9DcmVhdGlvbkRhdGUgKEQ6MjAwODA2MjYxMTU4MjkpDQovTW9kRGF0ZSAoRDoy
    MDA4MDYyNjExNTgyOSkNCi9Qcm9kdWNlciAoT3JhY2xlIFBERiBkcml2ZXIpDQovVGl0bGUgKGxt
    bEBjYXJnb21hc3Rlci5kaykNCi9BdXRob3IgKE9yYWNsZSBSZXBvcnRzKQ0KPj4NCmVuZG9iag0K

snip
    I had the customer send back the corrupted PDF and when I run a diif on the corrupted PDF and they look almost the same a side from each line seems to have a dot prepended... here is a snip:

Code:
     diff 100075.pdf 100075_corrupted.pdf
    125,129c125,129
    < .WS1MZ&UjE!*Ql5.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!
    < .&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!
    < .&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!j#fik
    ---
    > ..WS1MZ&UjE!*Ql5.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!
    > ..&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!
    > ..&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!.&)S!j#fik
    139c139
    < .)%4tIh@a!,DJ[ESJgCEiQ\ou'U[^NCRF7H>uhbI`RjfZrX'tO!!P@W4oYKbm.`U!%u@gCKtL.M
    ---
    > ..)%4tIh@a!,DJ[ESJgCEiQ\ou'U[^NCRF7H>uhbI`RjfZrX'tO!!P@W4oYKbm.`U!%u@gCKtL.M

snip

The error seems to be a combination error where Zimbra is part of the equation... some customers doesn't have problemes viewing the PDF's and others (always the same) does. If I send the same PDF's from something else like Gmail all customers can view the PDF's. But I'm not convinced that Zimbra is making the error but I would like to know if there is anything I can change in Zimbra so all my customers can receive the PDF's without any hassel?
    Last edited by wiscalico; 08-14-2008 at 02:45 AM.

If I send the PDF to my Gmail account everything works just fine.

This happens with both Zimbra version 5.0.5 and 5.0.6.

I can't really change how the relays work even though they are the ones with the fault.

Can I do anyting within Zimbra to change who it attaches PDF files without assigning a person zip every PDF file and one in the other end to unzip em again

For a correct diagnosis that unfortunately didn't lead to a more general fix, see comment 22 at Bug 15612 &ndash; zimbra corrupts pdf generated by ms office with acrobat distiller

ZWC blindly trusts the client browser to encode attachments in a reasonable way (MIME type tagging, choice of ascii/base64/qp encoding). GMail and other webmails do more second-guessing of untrustworthy user input and re-encode as appropriate.

I've seen a lot of cases where people couldn't attach (for example) Word or Excel files because a bad MIME response from some completely unrelated web server was trusted by Firefox, causing subsequent uploads of said file type to *any* web application to be encoded incorrectly.

The "solution" to bug 15612 was to hard-code a specific fix to a specific instance of the general problem. I've had a couple support cases open on permutations of the issue but haven't gotten much traction.

Oh, as a workaround: IE and Safari are less likely to get uploaded file types/encodings wrong than Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    IE and Safari are less likely to get uploaded file types/encodings wrong than Firefox.
    I tried using IE 7.0.5730.11 on a Windows XP platform PDF's on the recieving side are still bugged

We have the same problem, after upgrade from 5.0.2 to 5.0.7 sometimes, attachment in PDF (generated with distiller) are corrupted but only with firefox.

We are uning zimbra since 4.5 and we never had this kind of problem (30 users)

Has there been any more thought on this? As today I am getting the behavior on a couple of my users.

With one it only seems to be effecting some pdf's generated by our ERP, however its the same pdf being sent to about a dozen of my other users and for them it works fine.

The other user complaining about this it seems to be randomly effecting pdf's no matter the source, ie one of my other users sent him 3 email with 3-4 pdfs in each and about half work and half don't.

With both users if they fwd the emails to themselves the attachments work fine.

If you look at the headers originally posted, langs, you'll see that the content-transfer-encoding on the one that's working is base64, and the one that's not is quoted printable.

That's the problem.

Re-reading the whole thread now, though, langs, it's not clear if *your* messages are being entered via ZCO, web, or some other fashion; clarify?

(the rest of this was written when I thought langs was the OP, and I'm too late for work to adjust it now. :-)

Your PDF's contain a binary stream, and ASCII-7 channels -- which email is -- can't pass that.

You need to figure out which program is attaching the PDF to the email with the wrong encoding, and why it's doing that. <strike>I didn't read the bug linked, but the message suggested that it might be pertinent to your problem.</strike> I've just read the bug, and it seems exactly on point: Outlook is stupid. :-)

It would be interesting -- to me -- to know if the same version of Outlook, presented with the same body and attachments, but sending via SMTP direct -- screwed the same thing up the same way.

Default Zimbra corrupts most PDF attachments

I am having problems with 5.0.9_GA_2533.UBUNTU8 corrupting PDFs that I receive from others or send myself. This happens if I attach via IMAP in Outlook or via IE on the web interface.

Has there been any other information regarding this?

This is not a good behavior and I would think would have been resolved by now. Other mails servers I have used have not done this so I am concerned about supporting an install of Zimbra.