Thread: SpamAssassin

Hybrid View

Default SpamAssassin

I'm just a zimbra beginner, so please excuse if my question is stupid.

I have some experience with NoSpamToday, which is nice antispam SMTP gateway for Windows based on SpamAssassin. It seems to me that Zimbra implementation of SA is different and not very understandable for me. I thought that SA principle is that it scores messages by series of tests which has its own scores and then message is or is not considered as spam by total score. Network tests as RBLS are part of scoring system.

Here in zimbra it looks to me that RBLS are not part of scoring. For example, when I use <zmprov zimbraMtaRestriction "reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org"> then every message, that is positively tested in NJABL is rejected. So will be rejected all messages from gmail, because it is listed there. (tested). This is not good behaviour.

I have tryied to modify /opt/zimbra/conf/salocal.cf (skip_rbl_checks, required_score, own local rules), but it does not work as expected. What are the possibilities of tweaking SA, like adding user rules, modifying scores, using RBLs and so on?

Thanks Petr.

By default we ship with RBL's off. If you would have searched on RBL you'd have found this thread, or have found the same informaiton in our docs(You did check the docs first right? )

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=rbl
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Yes, I've searched forum before and found that topic. I used that solution, as I wrote above. I set some RBL using "zmprov zimbraMtaRestriction ...", it works. But it works in such way that message is rejected when RBL check is positive. I expected, that message could be only rejected based on total SA score, not due do single positive RBL check. Is this how is SA implemented with Zimbra, or it it just my fault?

Petr

The score will be in the header of the email. View the original email and you can see which service(s) flagged it, the message score, and the thresholds you have configured.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

We don't use the RBLs only in SA, we use them in postfix, too - and postfix is set to reject if the RBL hits.

If you don't want that, then "reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org" is probably not what you want in your postfix config (reject rbl client...)

Thank you, this explains everything!

Just another spamassassin issue - seems to me that messages from certain size up are not checked by spamassassin. I know it is quite common feature of similar systems because checking large messages takes more resources. But I've noticed some spams getting through my server with attachment size about 65k. These messages have no X-Spam headers. How can I change max message size to be checked by SA?

that's in /opt/zimbra/conf/amavisd.conf.in

Thanks, found it there as sa_mail_body_size_limit switch.