Thread: Zimbra Backup

Question Zimbra Backup

In our network, we use CommVault to back up our servers, of which are primarily Windows Servers. Now that we are live with 5.0.7.NE, I get the backup reports daily.

So my questions now are:

1) While I can see the backups in the destination directory, should I be ftping, or other to get the backups off the server (how do you all do this)?

2) I stand to lose a lot without a full Linux server backup, so if any of you use CommVault, how do you backup your Zimbra server(s)?

In the worst case scenario, I need to restore the server and it's contents, so I am not comfortable with the Zimbra backups on their own.

Thank you in advance for any info you can share. If you are a CommVault user, your experience already is in protecting your Zimbra system(s) is what I would love to hear.

Peace,
    Jason

Hi,

I think this will help you .. go through it : Moving ZCS to New Server - Zimbra :: Wiki

thanks,
    Yukari !!!
    Yukari !!!!
    +91 982 503 9118
    -----------------------------
    Release 6.0.2_GA_1912.RHEL5_64_20091020161509RHEL5_64 FOSS edition.

Thank you Yukari for your feedback, but I am looking for a more robust option to backup my zimbra server. In enterprise environments, such as ours, I can't imagine relying on just a backup routine within zimbra. That would cost us our jobes, if we couldn't also recover from drive failures.

This is why I asked if anyone in who uses CommVault, is using a linux agent to backup the entire server (to include the default zcs backups).

I am buying a linux agent for CommVault, of which, I plan to do full backups each night of the server (to provide the utmost protection) to protect the server in the event of a drive failure.

Hopefully someone will respond that is doing this already and can comment that they are doing so with no problems.

Any info that anyone can share is great (regardless of backup suite.... zmanda, amanda, dracula, backupexec, commvault, etc....).

I just haven't had luck in seeing what users are using.

again, thanks for the post,
    Jason

Personally I archive the backups to a secondary server. I believe there would be no technical reason why you could not present the backup area via Samba to a Windows server, mount it, and back it up that way. Though if you have purchased the Unix extension for CommVault then this should work equally just as good if not better. Personally for Unix backups, and Windows, we use HPs DataProtector. Have used this for many many years and never once have not been able to restore something.