Thread: LDAP crashing and DNS issues causing many deferred emails.

Default LDAP crashing and DNS issues causing many deferred emails.

My company recently switch TO an external mail server FROM an internal Zimbra mail server. I need to keep my old internal zimbra server up and running so users can check there old emails. The new external server has the same host and domain name as the old internal server eg. mail.mydomain.com.

Once I changed our DNS entries on our DNS server to direct "mail.mydomain.com" to our external mail sever's IP, my internal zimbra server began crashing because of an LDAP error:

[zimbra@mail root]$ zmcontrol start
    Host mail.mydomain.com
    Starting ldap...Done.
    FAILED
    Failed to start slapd. Attempting debug start to determine error.
    daemon: bind(7) failed errno=99 (Cannot assign requested address)
    slap_open_listener: failed on ldap://mail.mydomain.com:389

In an attempt to remedy this, I created an entry my zimbra server's hosts file resolving "mail.mydomain.com" to 127.0.0.1. This SEEMED to work.

Little did I know, a number of users were and are still using my old zimbra server as their outgoing smtp server, so I have a HUGE number of deferred email in my old zimbra mail server's queue because of the hosts file entry with this error:

delivery temporarily suspended: connect to mail.mydomain.com[x.x.x.x]: connection timed out

I really need to get this ldap crashing issue worked out so that I can get remove the hosts file entry so these deferred emails out of the queue!

Please HELP!

Thanks,

-Patrick

If you have an internal DNS server, you'll need to setup a split DNS setup. Otherwise, you may have to setup an internal DNS server and point your Zimbra server to that and put your hosts file back the way it was.