Thread: Testing JDK 1.6.x with Zimbra 5.0.x

Default Testing JDK 1.6.x with Zimbra 5.0.x

Hello everyone!

In this thread I intend to share my experiences running Zimbra Open Source Edition 5.0.x with Sun JDK 1.6.x. You are all welcome to share yours to help out the development team behind Zimbra to migrate to JDK 1.6.x as soon as possible in order to get the benefits from Java 6, mainly in terms of performance but also in terms of programming features. If you know any other threads with information related to this matter, please post here.

At the moment, as of 2008-07-17, I am running Zimbra 5.0.8 Open Source Edition on Debian Etch i686 32 bits. I have downloaded and decompressed the JDK version 1.6u7 in /opt/zimbra/jdk1.6u7 and changed the /opt/zimbra/java symbolic link appropriately.

So far, so good. My server is, unfortunately, not loaded enough in order to be able to tell the difference in performance terms, but I will be able to report about stability. The machine has 1 GB of RAM and the configuration against spam is very strict (Postgrey, Spamhaus.org ZEN and all the recipient restrictions active).

Finally, it would be lovely if someone from the development team could post the specific issues I could/should be finding, so that I can keep an eye on them and monitor the logs for such issues (I will have the Zabbix agent in the server as soon as I have the time, and perhaps monit too).

Thanks for your contributions, and thanks to Zimbra for such a great system.
    Jaume Sabater
    http://linuxsilo.net/

"Ubi sapientas ibi libertas"

Okay, so you are basically telling me that I should be experiencing this bug sooner or later (as I said, my personal server does not have a medium or heavy load, but I don't want to play with my customers' that use the Network Edition), correct?

It definitely seems a major bug IMHO, despite of the few comments in the bugtracker you pointed me at. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Finally, is there anything you want me to do or monitor in order to help a bit on this topic? You know, perhaps the bug was fixed when another bug was fixed. Hey, it happens!
    Jaume Sabater

While we do have a few customers who have also gone back to JDK1.6 for one reason or another because they have modifications that depend on it, I would run NE with what we build/support - if you must upgrade them please notify support whenever you/they open tickets that it's using JDK1.6

That open Sun bug is more of a load one, and we periodically examine the idea of going back to 1.6 whenever we long for a improvement that isn't in 1.5 - probably will after that is fixed, it's currently at status level 7.
    1-Dispatched
    2-Incomplete
    3-Accepted
    4-Defer
    5-Cause Known
    6-Fix Understood
    7-Fix in Progress
    8-Fix Available
    9-Fix Failed
    10-Fix Delivered
    11-Closed

You can test out this irregularity if you'd like: Bug 29631 - delay loading login page when using Firefox 3 over SSL/TLS (might already be fixed - I haven't tested lately)
    Here was another annoying one internally: Bug 17993 - Cannot build server using JDK1.6
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-17-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    While we do have a few customers who have also gone back to JDK1.6 for one reason or another because they have modifications that depend on it, I would run NE with what we build/support - if you must upgrade them please notify support whenever you/they open tickets that it's using JDK1.6
    Of course! Wouldn't think of doing these tests in my customers' installations.

You can test out this irregularity if you'd like: Bug 29631 - delay loading login page when using Firefox 3 over SSL/TLS (might already be fixed - I haven't tested lately)
    I can confirm this behaviour is still happening under these circumstances:

- Zimbra Open Source Edition 5.0.8
    - Debian Etch 32 bits (kernel 2.6.18-6)
    - JDK 1.6u7
    - Firefox 3.0 on Ubuntu 8.04 in the client side.

Delay was of 21 seconds.
    Jaume Sabater

It seems that there is a fix in progress for this bug. Meanwhile, I believe that I have hit it in my personal Open Source installation. Never thought I would, as it only has a few domains with a few accounts (really little load), and it's plenty of anti-spam filters that prevent most of spam from ever reaching the point in which SpamAssassin and ClamAV have to do their bit of work.

Anyway, the VPS (Xen) where the server is running in had out of memory errors. I am not entirely sure whether that was purely due to that bug or something else (the VPS has 1 GB of RAM). Here you are some bits of logs which I find relevant. Please let me know if posting some more can be of any help stating the Java bug caused the out of memory error or it was something else (like the stats generation processes).

See attached file for /var/log/syslog output. You'll see the gap from Jul 22 22:00:04 until Jul 23 00:12:38 (the moment at which the machine was restarted).

According to the log, do you believe it was the Zimbra Logger? Also, I am seeing those ext3 fsck inode cleanup lines at the end of the kernel restart and they are making me quite nervous, too

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jaume Sabater

So here we are another update of the JVM, 6u13. Any chances of this being included in future releases of Zimbra 5 or 6, or we'll have to stick with version 5 of Java for some more time?

Java SE 6 Update 13 Release Notes.

P.S. Honestly, I have not been following this issue for some time now, so I may well be out of date.
    Jaume Sabater