Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Some odds and sods

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, UK
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Some odds and sods

    Hi all,

    I've got Zimbra (OS) up and running in a multi-server environment (two boxen doing the same tasks, one being master ldap, talking over a wan link) and, after some hair-pulling and late nights, it all seems to be running rather nicely. Now I only have a couple of test users on here for, well, testing, and I've a couple of questions about features that would be very nice (I'm fully prepared for answers saying I've misconfigured and it already does that - this is a learning process!):

    1) email retention and archiving is a biggie with us for document control reasons. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to have all mail sent from or received by a user in a prticular COS go into a seperate mailbox (or, even better, a shared IMAP folder not associated with a particular user)? I think I read that shared folders are not implemented yet, so the former would certainly be a start!

    2) statistics. Overall server statistics are very nice to see, but I'd really like to be able to see per-user stats - ie. volume of mail sent and received (numbers and bytes), senders and recipients, mainly to see who is taking the p155 with regard to lobbing movies etc. between their mates. Is this already recorded in mysql?
    We already have awstats doing this on our current sendmail box, so this is a feature the management would rather not lose :P

    3) IMAP proxying. A user can log onto either of the Zimbra boxes and be redirected to the correct server the user lives on. This is ideal, as I want a DNS alias record for 'mail.domain.com' to return the closest server by network, mainly for our roving users. However, if we try this with an IMAP client (Thunderbird 1.5 in the test case), I get a login failed. I notice that Perdition is part of Zimbra so have I just made an arse of setting this incarnation up or am I trying to be a bit too clever for my own good? lol

    4) usernames and email addresses. Our users currently have a surnameinitial setup (like smithj for John Smith) and an email that would read jsmith@domain.com. Now I don't want to change that set up (our users are still coming to terms with what a username is), but I'd also rather not have an alias for every username. Also, I'd rather the GAL and contact fields in emails didn't reflect the smithj@domain rather than jsmith@domain.
    In otherwords, is it possible to have different usernames to email names without hundreds of aliases?

    Anyway, thanks for a superb product, and well done if you've read this far down .

    Kev

    PS. 3.0.1_GA_160 on Debian Sarge.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevlatimer
    Hi all,


    1) email retention and archiving is a biggie with us for document control reasons. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to have all mail sent from or received by a user in a prticular COS go into a seperate mailbox (or, even better, a shared IMAP folder not associated with a particular user)? I think I read that shared folders are not implemented yet, so the former would certainly be a start!
    We don't have this yet. You can set up a forward on all the domains to copy all received mail to another account, but that won't help for sent mail.

    2) statistics. Overall server statistics are very nice to see, but I'd really like to be able to see per-user stats - ie. volume of mail sent and received (numbers and bytes), senders and recipients, mainly to see who is taking the p155 with regard to lobbing movies etc. between their mates. Is this already recorded in mysql?
    We already have awstats doing this on our current sendmail box, so this is a feature the management would rather not lose :P
    Working on that right now, as a nightly report (messages through, top senders/recipients.)

    It's being pulled from the mta table in the zimbra_logger instance in mysql (on the logger box, use logmysql to access)



    3) IMAP proxying. A user can log onto either of the Zimbra boxes and be redirected to the correct server the user lives on. This is ideal, as I want a DNS alias record for 'mail.domain.com' to return the closest server by network, mainly for our roving users. However, if we try this with an IMAP client (Thunderbird 1.5 in the test case), I get a login failed. I notice that Perdition is part of Zimbra so have I just made an arse of setting this incarnation up or am I trying to be a bit too clever for my own good? lol
    Perdition is there, but not yet fully integrated.

    That said, zmperditionctl start should start it up fully configured. One bug in the current implementation has it expecting to find certs that may not exist - if you look at the conf file (after you start it - it's generated) you'll see a reference to a cert. Copy that over from your ldap server and it should work just fine.

    It's already configured to find your ldap server.

    4) usernames and email addresses. Our users currently have a surnameinitial setup (like smithj for John Smith) and an email that would read jsmith@domain.com. Now I don't want to change that set up (our users are still coming to terms with what a username is), but I'd also rather not have an alias for every username. Also, I'd rather the GAL and contact fields in emails didn't reflect the smithj@domain rather than jsmith@domain.
    In otherwords, is it possible to have different usernames to email names without hundreds of aliases?
    I'm not sure what you mean. If the user is smithj, and you want them to get email as jsmith, you will need an alias. You can find batch provisioning info on the wiki, to make it easier.

    Anyway, thanks for a superb product, and well done if you've read this far down .

    Kev

    PS. 3.0.1_GA_160 on Debian Sarge.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, UK
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Ta for the quick response.

    Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    We don't have this yet. You can set up a forward on all the domains to copy all received mail to another account, but that won't help for sent mail.
    I suppose one way around it for sent mail would be to use an edge MTA to write outgoing emails back to a simple dovecot or cyrus IMAP folder. It's not functionality being lost so it's no big deal

    Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    Working on that right now, as a nightly report (messages through, top senders/recipients.)

    It's being pulled from the mta table in the zimbra_logger instance in mysql (on the logger box, use logmysql to access)
    Smashing, so if I deploy before your reports are available, I can write some noddy reports myself to keep the PHB happy! That said, I still need to sus out the logger as I'm not getting stats from the second box yet. I'm sure it's my fault though...

    Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    Perdition is there, but not yet fully integrated.

    That said, zmperditionctl start should start it up fully configured. One bug in the current implementation has it expecting to find certs that may not exist - if you look at the conf file (after you start it - it's generated) you'll see a reference to a cert. Copy that over from your ldap server and it should work just fine.

    It's already configured to find your ldap server.
    Ah, I thought it might be an SSL/certificate problem. Again, nowhere near a showstopper, but helps to create that seamless setup!

    Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    I'm not sure what you mean. If the user is smithj, and you want them to get email as jsmith, you will need an alias. You can find batch provisioning info on the wiki, to make it easier.
    Sorry, it was badly explained, but if I'm being honest, it reads like I want my cake and to eat it... the bit I wanted to avoid was if I set my users up as smithj, I didn't want email addresses to appear on correspondance as smithj@domain, rather as jsmith@domain. Ah well, it's probably about time I chnaged username policy anyway

    Cheers,

    Kev

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevlatimer
    Ta for the quick response.



    Smashing, so if I deploy before your reports are available, I can write some noddy reports myself to keep the PHB happy! That said, I still need to sus out the logger as I'm not getting stats from the second box yet. I'm sure it's my fault though...
    Search the forums for info on setting up syslog correctly to receive remote messages.


    Ah, I thought it might be an SSL/certificate problem. Again, nowhere near a showstopper, but helps to create that seamless setup!
    I'd be interested to hear how perdition works for you - as I've said, it's not yet fully integrated, but it's coming, and the earlier I get feedback, the better it will work


    Sorry, it was badly explained, but if I'm being honest, it reads like I want my cake and to eat it... the bit I wanted to avoid was if I set my users up as smithj, I didn't want email addresses to appear on correspondance as smithj@domain, rather as jsmith@domain. Ah well, it's probably about time I chnaged username policy anyway
    That we can do - you want to set the canonical address on the account such that all mail from the account appears to come from the "standard" address.

    Search on zimbraMailCanonicalAddress in the forums (or the docs)

    Cheers,

    Kev

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    194
    Rep Power
    9

    Question Perdition for 3.1.4

    I now it is still not fully supported, but how can I get perdition to work on 3.1.4 NE? I've copied the cert files from the LDAP server and still have no luck. Based on the info from above, I just need to do a zmperditionctl start on the mailbox servers, right?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kirme3
    I now it is still not fully supported, but how can I get perdition to work on 3.1.4 NE? I've copied the cert files from the LDAP server and still have no luck. Based on the info from above, I just need to do a zmperditionctl start on the mailbox servers, right?

    Thanks
    That's correct. What error are you getting? 3.2 has much better support for this.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    194
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Already figured it out...

    Sorry, I forgot to update the thread that I had things working. We are on 3.1.4, and I realized that to login I had to use full email....ie..foo@example.com for authentication. I changed perdition.conf and perdition.conf.in to use UID instead, so users could use just account ID.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •