Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing community distro to host Zimbra

Default Choosing community distro to host Zimbra

Hi, new member's first post here!

I've (finally!) managed to free up a machine (AMD-64 powered - pre-Pacifica) and would like to start evaluating and playing with Zimbra with a view to influencing clients. I am a consultant rather than a techie, so I'm not driven to spending a lot of time in the bit-bucket doing multiple (re-)installs, etc.

Examining "Open Source Edition Downloads" http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads.html I see that all of the 'free' distributions mentioned are somewhat old (Fedora is up to 9.0, SuSE to 11.0, and Ubuntu 8.04).

Can I download and use one of the above 'latest' without too much fear, or is this asking for difficulties and I should back-off to the versions listed?

Should I build a 32-bit machine given the apparently lesser enthusiasm for 64-bit versions of Zimbra?

Please advise,
    =dn

Welcome to the forums

How much memory does your server have ? To be honest for the FOSS edition I personally would go with CentOS 5.2. Never had any problems.

Thanks.

I did wonder about CentOS given its server and 'ISP-type' approaches, but as I've other projects of a more desktop-y nature for which I will likely use the same machine, I worried about whether it was too server-oriented.

This machine has 1GB RAM (at the moment).

Back to the import of my question though: CentOS isn't even on the list of host OpSys. Are you saying that as long as I use the switch to disable version testing that CentOS (or anything else) will likely be ok? 64-bit version?

Regards,
    =dn

With 1GB of RAM no point in using 64bit, to be honest unless you are going over 4GB no point at all. With respect to CentOS then it is not officially supported for the Network Edition version, yet many people (inc. Zimbra staff) do use CentOS for both FOSS and NE versions.

Thank you. Points taken - although this is only eval platform so am not attempting to run 'corporate' on it. Am looking at functions offered and getting look-and-feel, at this stage - and doing it at home-office, so response time not being measured at this stage...

I'll let you know if I have any joy/give up and start again. Hopefully there's some 'liberated' RAM coming, if only another GB...

OT: if CentOS is built on RHEL, doesn't that mean that it is even further behind in the 'version numbers' - which is where I came in?

Regards,
    =dn

CentOS 5.2 is the latest inline with upstream ? From a ZCS perspective 5.0.8 is available for RHEL5, or am I missing the point ?

I'm playing with the Community version for this evaluation - no point in paying if not going to use the system! Also gives some opportunity to learn about the product, which is a personal objective even if peripheral interest to client...

"The point" in terms of 'versions' within my original query was that whereas the Zimbra 5.0.8 version is comparatively recent (9 July) the various platforms available for binary download *seem* quite old. Thereafter came my comment about CentOS cf RHEL (don't know that much about distro inter-relationships)

I'm loading CentOS onto the test server, as we speak. Next I will download and attempt to install Zimbra's RHEL5 binary (as I have interpreted your recommendation).

Thanks,
    =dn

I'm really happy with CentOS. I've had great experiences setting up Zimbra on CentOS 5.1 and 5.2. I use the 64 bit version with very few problems (except the Certificate problems that I've been having which I think are more GoDaddy's problem then Zimbra's problem).

There is a communit build of the FOSS version that runs on Ubuntu 8.04 great.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

I find Ubuntu a better distro than CentOS.
    Craig Rodway » Flickr | Last.fm | Del.icio.us | Twitter