Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] 5.0.8 - Viewing Notebooks is very slow

Thumbs down [SOLVED] 5.0.8 - Viewing Notebooks is very slow

When i hit the Notebook tab in Zimbra Open Source Edition it takes 10 to 20 Seconds to view the list with documents. If i click on a document it takes another 10 to 20 seconds to view it ?!?

The funny thing is that when i create a new page it takes only seconds to come up with the editor and saving this new document is also very fast.

Every thing else is also very responsive!

Where can i find out what's happening i did search in the log files but did not find anything strange. Is there a way to show me what is causing the delays.

We were seeing the same thing on our systems at 5.0.4. When we added memory to the server it was much faster loading. It was especially slow when loading a shared document.

What does the load and memory usage on the server look?

top - 19:00:25 up 1 day, 1:49, 1 user, load average: 2.36, 2.42, 2.24
    Tasks: 142 total, 1 running, 141 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    Cpu(s): 0.1%us, 0.2%sy, 0.0%ni, 95.0%id, 4.7%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
    Mem: 3895716k total, 3674116k used, 221600k free, 28500k buffers
    Swap: 2096472k total, 64k used, 2096408k free, 1417520k cached

So i think 4GB Ram should be enough?!? Most of the Time the cpu load is not too high except if we move a large amount of mails to a different folder.

In my case it does not really matter if it is a shard notebook or not...

Zimbra seems to have Problems with large attachments on emails also. If an attachment is larger than 40MB it will most likely produce an error like:

"...Nested in javax.servlet.ServletException: invoke Read timed out..."

Are these zimbra limitations or is this a special problem with my setup?!?

Thanks for your response!

Hmm it appears that the loads are a little high, but nothing alarming. How many users do you have on your system?

I am just shooting in the dark on the RAM. That was our experience and your problem could be completely different. In the mailbox server in question, we went from 6GB of RAM to 12GB. Of course everything sped up, but the documents definitely were MUCH faster. More so than the web client as a whole.

On the attachment issues, you'll probably have to adjust timeouts. I don't know that I would be sending that large of attachments anyway, however. At 40MB, you probably should be using FTP or something else that's actually built for file transfer.. A lot of email servers will set a size limit on a message that's much lower than that anyway.
    Last edited by y@w; 07-23-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: typo

We have only 6 users so 12GB Ram seems a little overkill

Can you point me in the right direction where i could set the timeout values in zimbra? - THANKS!

Haha yeah, that'd be a little ridiculous

That was just our experience with the documents. Do you see any errors in the logs while trying to load the documents?

On the attachments, you have increased the maximum message size, correct? I don't think that's the error you'll get, but I just want to make sure of that first. Here's the wiki article on the max. message size:
    Configuring maxmessagesize - Zimbra :: Wiki

I did set all of this. I set it to pretty high values like 256MB because we are a Marketing company and have to send large PDF files to the printshops.

I tried to lower both values to 16MB and restarted zimbra but that did not help either. It still takes 20 to 30 seconds to load the Notbook summary or to view a document

I really would like to see a way to find out what needs so long to load!

If i click on Notebook the cpu load stays at zero for about 15 seconds and then goes up to 100% for about 3 to 5 seconds after that Notebook is loaded. What is happening in the first 15 seconds? Seems like some sort of wait or timeout or something?!?

If anyone knows a way to debug please help!

Unhappy i give up

After spending now nearly a week to get this working i simply give up.

I did various clean install and i think i read through anything available i even changed my kernel version and add another 2GB of ram to my server so a total of 6 GB of ram is available but nothing changed the slow load of notebook or the problem with moving messages with large attachments.

I tried all tweaking you can think of. I modified all of these Parameters to see if changing them has any effect:

Code:
    zimbraAttachmentsIndexedTextLimit: 1048576
    zimbraAttachmentsScanEnabled: FALSE
    zimbraCalendarCompatibilityMode: standard
    zimbraHttpSSLNumThreads: 50
    zimbraMailDiskStreamingThreshold: 1048576
    zimbraMailPurgeSleepInterval: 1m
    zimbraMessageCacheSize: 1671168
    zimbraMessageIdDedupeCacheSize: 3000
    zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize: 131072000                 <- 128 MB SET TO max 16MB first for testing
    zimbraNotebookFolderCacheSize: 1024                <- ? Test to raise to 32000kb (32MB)
    zimbraNotebookMaxCachedTemplatesPerFolder: 256     <- ? Test to set to 1024
    zimbraNotebookPageCacheSize: 10240                 <- ? Test to raise to 32000kb (32MB)
    zimbraRedoLogRolloverFileSizeKB: 102400
    zimbraReverseProxyAuthWaitInterval: 10s            
    zimbraScheduledTaskNumThreads: 20                  <- ???
    zimbraSoapRequestMaxSize: 131072000                <- ??? MB if max message size is 16MB
    zimbraSpamCheckEnabled: FALSE                      <- Why is Spam Check set to false?
    zimbraVirusCheckEnabled: FALSE
    and also in the zmlocalconfig:

Code:
    mailboxd_java_options = -client -XX:NewRatio=2 -Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1
    and many more places too.

I did not find anything abnormal! The only thing i could find is that if i attach ?dev=1 to the zimbra UI files the following lines in the debug output:

Code:
    NO REST URL FROM SERVER. GENERATED URL: https://zmail.bt-center.at/home/admin/Notebook/_Index
    NO REST URL FROM SERVER. GENERATED URL: https://zmail.bt-center.at/home/admin/Notebook/_Index
    when i load the notebook.

Could someone of the zimbra devs give me a hint where to go on?

Thank you all!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

One of the reasons for this may be the fact you appear to have no MX record for your server. Are the public records the only DNS or do you have a local DNS server with A & MX records.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thumbs up This hurts!

After spending hours and hours investigating my problem it was actually not really a DNS but a "I am also in the DMZ" problem.

I used the IP adress instead of the dns name of the server which was the problem. Never thought about it because everything else worked fine and i setup dns resolution and firewall very very carefully.

I dont know if i should laugh or cry...

If i can get my read timeout error for large files also (another post as you know) i would be the luckiest zimbra admin in the world

Thanks!