Thread: Moving from open source Zimbra to ZCS Network Starter Edition

Default Moving from open source Zimbra to ZCS Network Starter Edition

Hi,

I installed Zimbra some time ago (v.4.5.6), I liked it and it did the job for my 3 user setup. The license has subsequently expired, and it is now running in 'open source' mode (although I haven't changed anything and reading some things I think it might be in expired network mode rather than open source mode?!?)

I want to upgrade to a newer version of Zimbra and now the ZCS Network Starter Edition is available, I am thinking of purchasing that.

My question is how can I back up my existing setup in a way that can be restored to a fresh ZCS Net Starter Edition? I receive a license error when I use the web interface backup.

Any guidance would be great.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I guess the answer would depend on whether you're on a supported operating system for NE and whether you're moving this to another server and/or changing operating systems? You will, of course, need a supported platform for your new NE system.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

The current version I have is 4.5.6_GA_1044.Ubuntu6

The new server is not yet setup, so I will choose a supported system. It will be a different server, but I could install the NE over the existing setup if that would make backing up and moving easier?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You should be OK installing NE over that version but I'd suggest you do a full backup of the /opt/zimbra directory first, you can use one of the scripts from these articles. You'll need to upgrade to 4.5.11 before you move to the 5.0.x version, when you've done the first upgrade make sure that the systems works OK then perform another full backup and do the 5.0.x upgrade. Again, make sure everything's working OK on this server before you move to the new server. You said it's Ubuntu 6, is it the Ubuntu 6.06 LTS version?

Just in case you have problems and need to restore., do you still have the original install files for the version of Zimbra that you're running? One of the articles in the link above describes how to move from one server to another, have a read of that (and search the forums) to make sure you understand what's needed before you do the move. Any questions, please ask.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.