Thread: [SOLVED] Upgrading multiple servers. Ordering? Simultaneous?

Default [SOLVED] Upgrading multiple servers. Ordering? Simultaneous?

We're about to move from a single server Zimbra installation to multiple servers (2 MTA/LDAP, 2 Mailbox) and want to know what's necessary when it comes to upgrade time.

1) Is is necessary for all Zimbra nodes to be running the same version? Obviously this is the way it should be, but can I upgrade one, then the next, then...?

2) Since only two of the machines hold the LDAP repository, do they have to be done first/last/simultaneously?

It seems to me I've missed an obvious piece of documentation somewhere, but I can't find it. Any help much appreciated.

Stephen

You have to do them:
    1. LDAP
    2. Mailbox Servers
    3. MTA

After searching around, I found the document that shows this: http://www.zimbra.com/docs/ne/latest...stall.5.1.html

There are configuration settings that are stored in the LDAP server that each server writes, so that has to be updated first. The mailbox servers have to come next because they are used for the mtaAuthHost, which then leaves the MTA for last. Since it looks like you have 2 boxes doing MTA and LDAP, you should do the LDAP master first, then the replica. In this case you will also have to next update the mail box servers (Those should be able to be done simultaneously). Then return to your to your MTA and issue /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov -ms mta.server.name zimbraMtaAuthHost mailbox.to.auth.name
    Last edited by alexkelly; 08-01-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Found the document w/ the details.

Excellent. Thank you. Just to make 100% sure I've got this right, I want to spell it out completely.

Server A - MTA/Master LDAP
    Server B - MTA/Replica LDAP
    Server C - Mailbox
    Server D - Mailbox

1) A,B,C,D Running. Stop zimbra on A and upgrade
    2) A upgraded, B,C,D Running. Stop zimbra on B and upgrade
    3) A,B upgraded, C,D Running. Stop zimbra on C,D and upgrade
    4) A,B,C,D upgraded. On A,B run "/opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov -ms mta.server.name zimbraMtaAuthHost mailbox.to.auth.name" (not substituting anything in those commands right?)
    5) Do I need to stop/start zimbra on A,B after running that command?

Would it be beneficial to stop all services on all servers as a step 0)? Is there ever a situation where running different versions on different servers during the various upgrade steps could cause problems?

I think I'll submit a support request to have the upgrade information added to the doc you've linked. It doesn't seem quite as obvious and simple as it should.

Thank you again,

Stephen

Now that I'm a bit more awake and having just looked here: SMTP Auth Problems - Zimbra :: Wiki it seems like 4) should use actual hostnames.

What would the proper procedure be if you have multiple mailbox servers? Would you set up a round robin to have the zimbraMtaAuthHost rotate your mailbox servers for greater resiliance and balancing?

Correct #4 should have the actual hostnames of the MTA and the mailbox to use for authentication. The MTA has to be restarted after issuing that command.

Typically when I have done the upgrades, I stop the MTA before I do anything, because we have a barracuda at the edge that the mail will queue on. Other than that, I let the install.sh handle all the shutdowns when it needs to.

You do have to restart the MTA after the zmprov command.

Setting up roundrobin DNS seems like a reasonable way to approach it. I don't know if there is something that would cause any issues with that.