Thread: Tomcat fails to start on reboot because of redo.log permissions

Default Tomcat fails to start on reboot because of redo.log permissions

I'm refering to a previous post in another thread since ccmacmil's problem and mine are the same but different than the original thread poster. Here's the original:
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=14

I am running the OSS version on Debian with the GA 156 package. Since the initial installation the operating system was not rebooted and was working properly. Today I did my first reboot and tomcat didn't start. I upgraded to the GA 160 package and tomcat still didn't start. There was no stack trace and catalina.out reported that everything was working properly despite tomcat not running. Then I noticed the thread I referenced above, changed the permissions on the redo.log file and tomcat started manually while running as the zimbra user.

I don't know how to debug this to determine if it's a Debian thing, a Zimbra thing or a tomcat thing. Help would be appriciated.

Did you ever try to start Zimbra as root? In general it should not get the wrong permisisons if you always use the zimbra user.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Did you ever try to start Zimbra as root? In general it should not get the wrong permisisons if you always use the zimbra user.
    I did start zimbra as root, but with the script in /etc/init.d/zimbra, which does an su - zimbra before starting the system. This tomcat problem happened during init as the system was booting. I will do some more reboots during off hours and see if I can reproduce the problem.