Thread: Auto-grouped backups

Default Auto-grouped backups

I have enabled auto-grouped backups, mainly because my offsite backup goes over a fairly slow link - so I figured it would be easier to spread the full over multiple days rather than have a large TB worth of data going over a slow link Sunday night/Monday morning.

Anyways, the backup ran this evening, and I noticed it backed up its share of accounts for the day, but I only see full backups. Are incremental backups being done as well on the accounts not receiving a full backup for the current day? Or is this accounted for in the redo logs (which I'm assuming got backed up as a whole during the auto-grouped backup)?

Auto-grouped mode automatically pulls in the redologs since the last run so you get incremental backups of the remaining accounts.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Auto-grouped mode automatically pulls in the redologs since the last run so you get incremental backups of the remaining accounts.
    Just to confirm, does this mean that auto-grouped backups allow for restore of any account from the day before, even when that particular account would not have been fully backed up for several days due to the division of accounts backed up each day. In other words, do you lose any ability to restore since there is no longer incremental backups?

Think of auto-grouped mode as a full backup for the scheduled group as well as an incremental (via redologs) for the all other accounts at the same time. Although the incremental accounts captured via the redologs are not listed specifically in the backup account list. This still allows you to do a point in time restore for any account.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

up.. because It answered my question

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Think of auto-grouped mode as a full backup for the scheduled group as well as an incremental (via redologs) for the all other accounts at the same time. Although the incremental accounts captured via the redologs are not listed specifically in the backup account list. This still allows you to do a point in time restore for any account.