Thread: Shanghai express - Help

Default Shanghai express - Help

All -

We opened a new office in Shanghai China and are having a hell of a time getting a good connection back to the states... ZCO works some of the time the other half of the time PDF files are corrupt because of packet loss.. This is all happening because of the PRC Firewall in China and due to the fact that they have crap for ISP's ... I canít even get a fast enough connection to get them in zimbra webmail using the html version. Here is the interesting part.. They have a fast connection when visiting China internet sites.. google.com.cn is fast MSN in China is fast. Last night in the wee hours I was working with the site and had a user create new Gmail account then I set the user preferences in zimbra to send a copy of every email received to the Gmail account and success the Gmail account delivering the emails real-time... although this works I canít use it because we have compliance measures we have to take and if this user responds from the Gmail account he is now off of our zimbra server and the email will not get archived. So I then started looking at the Google apps tool (email gateway) Email gateway - Google Apps for Administrators. Iím thinking that I might be able to leverage Google's great connection to/from China by setting up a relay server using Google apps. But I canít get my head around how to make this happen. I have to have all email sent from/to mydomain.com archived on my zimbra server... looking at the link I provided above it looks like I might be able to do this using the Google apps email gateway. Can someone please let me know if this possible.

Sorry for the Book.

so is your only requirement that a copy of the message get sent to your zimbra account as well as a gmail account? Why can't you just set zimbra to forward a copy of messages for that account to the person's gmail. then the e-mail will still be archived on your zimbra box and the person can check it through gmail.

Why can't you just set zimbra to forward a copy of messages for that account to the person's Gmail. then the e-mail will still be archived on your zimbra box and the person can check it through Gmail.

I do have it set up this way right now...but it only meets the first half of our compliance obligations... I need it to archive both sides sending and receiving.. the Gmail solution used above only captures the email that was sent to user@zimbradomain.com not the email being sent from the Gmail.. when they send from the zimbra server it gets archived.

Ah, I see. From glancing at those docs (i don't use google apps) it seems like you'd want to setup the last part for outgoing relay. In zimbra,y ou'd probably need to go to your server config and add the ip addresses it mentions into your trusted local networks to allow them to relay. But I don't think that would save a copy to your local zimbra server, just make sure outgoing e-mails from google were routed through there.

A stab in the dark, but in gmail or google apps can you setup an external imap account? If you enabled imap from zimbra, but were accessing your imap account from google, maybe it would be fast and it should support saving your sent items to the zimbra server.