Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] ZCS Restore failure

Default [SOLVED] ZCS Restore failure

Hi there,

I have taken backups of my production server using the Perl non LVM method from this post:
    Open Source Edition Backup Procedure - Zimbra :: Wiki

Now I'm trying to restore the zimbra installation to recover some emails that a user deleted onto a another server. I've installed the same host OS (CentOS 5.1) as the initial server.

Steps taken were based on post: Open Source Edition Backup Procedure - Zimbra :: Wiki

But instead I get an Error 404 in my browser (admin page or user page). Everything appears to fireup but alas I can't access anything. Browser error quoted here:

HTTP ERROR: 404

NOT_FOUND

RequestURI=/

Powered by jetty://
    zmcontrol status
    reveals everything is running. A manual
    ps -ef | grep zimbra
    reveals what I expect to be there. Note: /var/log/zimbra.log reports all processes running.

Zimbra Version on both servers:
    Release 5.0.7_GA_2444.RHEL5_20080626020941 CentOS5
    Are there any generic logs (like a zimbra version of /var/log/messages), I can look into?

I've checked a few of them but don't see any obvious errors.

Has anyone come across this?

I'd appreciate some assistance.
    Thanks,
    KH

P.S. I'm running a yum update to get my kernel & other package versions the same but this is a fools last resort attempt at fixing it.

Welcome to the forums

What happens if you try connecting to the server using its IP address ? If that works okay I would start looking at name resolution.

Thanks

It's not a DNS issue. I get the same http response code regardless of using IP or name. It should be noted again though - I get the same error with the user's page as well as the administrator page.

Other ideas?

Solved using the following posts with a few additions of chmoding the /opt/zimbra dir to zimbra:zimbra when using the original backup. Note the following: you need the same hostname and mx records pointing to itself. However you don't need the same IP address. Also I didn't need the final localconfig.xml copy. Here's the post: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...p-address.html

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue when I restore the zimbra backup on backup server. When user & admin will try to connect zimbra web then he got the following error.

HTTP ERROR: 404

NOT_FOUND

RequestURI=/

Powered by jetty://
    Regards,
    Jay Choksi

I'm guessing you followed my previous post. No mention of whether you tried it.

Solved using the following posts with a few additions of chmoding the /opt/zimbra dir to zimbra:zimbra when using the original backup. Note the following: you need the same hostname and mx records pointing to itself. However you don't need the same IP address. Also I didn't need the final localconfig.xml copy. Here's the post: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...p-address.html

Quote Originally Posted by keith.hofer View Post
    I'm guessing you followed my previous post. No mention of whether you tried it.
    Yes I am following your last post but still getting error. if any idea please help me.
    Regards,
    Jay Choksi

I have been able to repetitively get it working with the steps from the post referenced above, now below:
    Here are the exact final steps that allowed me to recover from my backup. Honestly, this is pretty much a bad joke that it took all of this.

1. Backup /opt/zimbra (I tgz'ed it)

2. Download a fresh tgz of the Zimbra release, preferably the same architecture and version

3. Install on the new machine, which should have the same DNS and MX settings with the command ./install.sh -s

4. rm -rf /opt/zimbra

5. Untar the original backup to /opt/zimbra, and run this:

su - zimbra
    /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapcat -f /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf -l /tmp/ldap.ldif

****MY Addition****
    chmod zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra

6. Copy the /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf and /opt/zimbra/conf/localconfig.xml to a safe place

7. rm -rf /opt/zimbra (which will be the backup...make sure you kept the original backup as a tgz so you can unzip it again)

8. Re-install from the original distribution with the -s option

9. Copy the backup of slapd.conf to /opt/zimbra/conf

10. Run this command:

su - zimbra
    /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapadd -f /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf -l /tmp/ldap.ldif

11. Move the /opt/zimbra/openldap-data directory to a safe place

12. rm -rf /opt/zimbra

13. Unzip from the backup again

14. Delete the /opt/zimbra/openldap-data directory

15. Copy/move the backup of the openldap-data directory into the /opt/zimbra directory

16. Run /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms

17. Run the install.sh without the -s option. It will most likely fail.

18. Copy the original localconfig.xml into the /opt/zimbra/conf directory

19. ./install.sh again without the -s option

20. Just to even it out at a full TWENTY STEPS, write a post to the Zimbra forums complaining what a pathetically convoluted process this was.
    If you follow that exactly - it should work. Also - you need the same hostname and MX records to get it working.

Other than that, you're not being very specific in any other errors.

Quote Originally Posted by keith.hofer View Post
    I have been able to repetitively get it working with the steps from the post referenced above, now below:

If you follow that exactly - it should work. Also - you need the same hostname and MX records to get it working.

Other than that, you're not being very specific in any other errors.
    HI,

I am getting the following error while doing 5th step of above procedure.

[zimbra@pdcserver ~]$ /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapcat -f /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf -l /tmp/ldap.ldif
    The first database does not allow slapcat; using the first available one (2)
    bdb_db_open: alock package is unstable
    backend_startup_one: bi_db_open failed! (-1)
    slap_startup failed
    Regards,
    Jay Choksi

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator