Thread: Zimbra MTA doesn't work

Unhappy Zimbra MTA doesn't work

I installed the Zimbra 3.0.1 Open Source Edition on SuSE ES 9 (EMT 64) .
    All the installation procedure is going well but when I check with the zmcontrol status , I have this :
    imbra@sam:~/bin> zmcontrol status
    Host sam.oato.inaf.it
    antispam Stopped
    antivirus Stopped
    ldap Running
    mailbox Running
    mta Stopped
    snmp Stopped
    spell Running

I am able to connect via firefox to the administration console, I can create users account but I cannot send and receive e-mail.
    I tried to start mta with the comand:
    zimbra@sam:~/bin> zmmtactl start
    getService: sasl
    getService: webxml
    getService: perdition
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e content_filter='smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024'
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e myhostname='sam.oato.inaf.it'
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e recipient_delimiter=''
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e smtpd_sasl_auth_enable='yes'
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e smtpd_tls_auth_only='yes'
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e disable_dns_lookups='no'
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e message_size_limit='10240000'
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e relayhost=''
    DO: /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postconf -e smtpd_recipient_restrictions='reject_non_fqdn_reci pient, permit_sasl_authenticated, permit_mynetworks, reject_invalid_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_unauth_destination, permit'
    postfix/postfix-script: warning: not owned by root: /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.5/conf/main.cf
    postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
    /opt/zimbra/cyrus-sasl-2.1.21.ZIMBRA/sbin/saslauthd: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

but it seems doesn't find the libcurl.so.2 .

Could be problem with a 64 version of SuSE ES 9 ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by volpix
    but it seems doesn't find the libcurl.so.2 .

Could be problem with a 64 version of SuSE ES 9 ?
    Looks like 2 problems to me:

1.) Whatever Suse package provides libcurl is missing.
    2.) You're running a 32bit app on a 64bit OS, and that's going to cause you lots of problems with Perl in particular.

Fix the first one by installing the needed package. I don't know Suse at all, so maybe someone else can help with the exact package.

Quote Originally Posted by volpix
    antispam Stopped
    antivirus Stopped
    ldap Running
    mailbox Running
    mta Stopped
    snmp Stopped
    spell Running
    I'll say right now that Antispam and Antivirus, as well as logger, will not work unless you make sure you've provided all the needed perl modules in 64bit version.

Default Having similar problems

I'm running SUSE 10 (OS edition) and I can get the puppy up and all pistons firing for about 2-10 hours, and then things just start going downhill.
    I can confirm what robrankin says about spamassassin and clam--these are 100% nonfunctional on my install.

OpenLDAP, Tomcat and postfix are all functioning just fine, however until somehow all the processes started by zimbra die close to simultaneously. I don't see anything indicating why in /var/log/messages or /var/log/zimbra.log. Just a mysterious death.

I've read through the admin docs and they don't say much about diagnosing this type of problem...

checking the logs in /opt/zimbra/log.

Only weird thing I see is in the audit.log is this:

2006-03-19 01:30:01,920 INFO [http-7071-Processor50] [ip=127.0.0.1;] security - cmd=AdminAuth; account=zimbra;
    2006-03-19 01:30:01,929 WARN [http-7071-Processor50] [ip=127.0.0.1;] security - cmd=AdminAuth; account=zimbra; error=authentication failed for zimbra (empty password);
    2006-03-19 03:00:01,571 INFO [http-7071-Processor49] [ip=127.0.0.1;] security - cmd=AdminAuth; account=zimbra;
    2006-03-19 03:00:01,572 WARN [http-7071-Processor49] [ip=127.0.0.1;] security - cmd=AdminAuth; account=zimbra; error=authentication failed for zimbra (empty password);

Looking like something from the localhost is attempting to log into the admin console (not me, I promise!!!)

There is nothing in zimbra.log, tomcat log or httpd log to even indicate that the processes were shut down. I just wake up in the morning and they're dead.

If SA and clam don't work, is that because you're on a 64 bit OS?
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Default latest zimbra on opensuse 10.0 x86_64 (amd)

I've been testing zimbra on amd and I'm getting the same issues as the previous poster with some services not starting and others starting:

antispam Stopped
    antivirus Stopped
    ldap Running
    mailbox Running
    mta Running
    snmp Stopped
    spell Running

no mail goes in or out. I installed from the x86_64 iso CDs. Isn't perl compiled for 64bit on this iso?

wj

Default 64-bit troubles

I had a great many problems getting Zimbra to work on a box using a X86_64 installation which mostly revolved around the fac that Zimbra has its own version of everything (including perl). I went through issue after issue resolving each but eventually the volume of problems got so out of hand that I just reverted to a non-64bit installation and everything worked smoothly. Personally I would not recommend using Zimbra on a X86_64 system.

Default re: 64 bit troubles

Thanks - I wiped the system and replace x86-64 opensuse with i386 and things are working better now - e-mail is going in and out now.

wj