Thread: Spamassassin for IMAP clients (outlook)

Default Spamassassin for IMAP clients (outlook)

Hey guys, I've recently implemented a new Zimbra server at my workplace, and its been a mostly delightful experience. Its only now, a few weeks later which I've found a problem which I can't solve by scouring these forums or the wiki.

We have about 30 users, all running Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 through IMAP. No one uses the web mail interface (yet). I'm interested in getting SpamAssassin all trained up as soon as possible. I thought the best way to do this would be to run a crontab job and zmtrainsa across each account during the night.

Admittedly, I'm no scripting magician, and I'm having trouble getting a script to work for this purpose. The draft script I wrote is as follows:
    Code:
    for account in zmprov gaa -v domain.com
    do
      zmtrainsa $account spam Junk
      zmtrainsa $account spam "Junk E-Mails"
    done
    The reason I want it to train on "Junk E-Mails" is that each account has that as an IMAP folder (from when I used the .pst importer), and Outlook still seems to dump the junk into that folder when a user right clicks on an email and says it is junk. This script obviously has problems (zmtrainsa needing to be run from the zimbra user being one).

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me some pointers? (I imagine a chmod on zmtrainsa would be a good place to start).

Kind Regards,

Sorcererbob

I too would be interested in some more info regarding dspam and zmtrainsa and stuff. My impression is that i keep marking mails as spam, but the amount doesn't change, sometimes i get the impression i get more spam when i mark more spam. LOL..

I've tried importing an allready trained baysian database using sa-learn , so now when i run a --dump magic it tells me an arror and i need to run -D .
    Is this configured from somewhere else ? How can you train this filter more effectively ?

All info is welcome.

Greets,

Mayk

From my understanding, Zimbra can't (currently) pick up junk mail from the Outlook Junk folder. That's scheduled for a future release I believe. Only mail that's put in the junk folder via the webmail actually gets picked up for training purposes.

As for scripting, I've got no idea how to do any of that.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Example scripts: Spam training - Zimbra :: Wiki
    (Replace 'junk' with Outlook's 'Junk E-Mails')
    Essentially use zmtrainsa (better option) or forward the mail to the spam.account@domain.com.

Re the other thought: You could RFE something to stem off of the work in Bug 9532 - IMAP/Outlook move to junk doesn't train anti-spam (GNR 6.0) with a configurable name for the folder (kinda like the old zimbraPrefSentMailFolder) for those times when you can't re-map it thick-client side.

(For NE & Outlook, ZCO would be the other option of course.)