Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus Crashing nightly

Default Antivirus Crashing nightly

Hi,

we do nightly backups where we shutdown zimbra using zmcontrol stop and then start again after.

this has worked fine for a long time. Since the recent upgrade to 5.0.9 we have had the AV crash after starting up at 3am resulting it being down until someone sees in the morning and restarts zimbra.

Here is the av log at the time of crash:

Code:
    Tue Sep 16 03:08:38 2008 -> --- Stopped at Tue Sep 16 03:08:38 2008
    Tue Sep 16 03:12:49 2008 -> +++ Started at Tue Sep 16 03:12:49 2008
    Tue Sep 16 03:12:49 2008 -> clamd daemon 0.93.3 (OS: linux-gnu, ARCH: i386, CPU: i686)
    Tue Sep 16 03:12:49 2008 -> Log file size limited to 20971520 bytes.
    Tue Sep 16 03:12:49 2008 -> Reading databases from /opt/zimbra/data/clamav/db
    Tue Sep 16 03:12:49 2008 -> Not loading PUA signatures.
    LibClamAV Warning: ***********************************************************
    LibClamAV Warning: ***  This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated.     ***
    LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq ***
    LibClamAV Warning: ***  This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated.     ***
    LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq ***
    LibClamAV Error: cli_load(): Can't open file /opt/zimbra/data/clamav/db/main.cvd
    Tue Sep 16 03:13:00 2008 -> ERROR: Unable to open file or directory
    ERROR: Unable to open file or directory
    Tue Sep 16 07:50:14 2008 -> +++ Started at Tue Sep 16 07:50:14 2008

There are references to the main.cvd at other times so I dont think this is it.... but...

Is anyone else having this problem?

Dion

Update: Of course now that we write a monitor script to start it if it fails - it does not ?!?! shheeesh... Is there a way to increase the logging detail so we can see more next time it crashes?
    Last edited by dionrowney; 09-17-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Dion,

Did you ever come up with a fix for this? Since upgrading one of my FOSS 5.0.8 boxes to 5.0.10, I have been having the same problem. Clamav doesn't start after my backup script runs.

Thanks,
    Ron

I'm replacing MailScanner with ZImbra, and Mailscanner's favorite way to die was by failing a ClamAV upgrade; this may or may not be the same thing.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

Do the defs update properly on your zimbraVirusDefinitionsUpdateFrequency?
    ClamAV - Reset Defs DB - Zimbra :: Wiki

I can't tell for sure if the defs are updating or not. My freshclam.log has the following in it repeatedly since July:

LOGGING DISABLED (Maximal log file size exceeded).
    Log size = 1048716, max = 1048576

The files in /opt/zimbra/clamav/db/ were updated at 2:34PM today, which is almost 12 hours after my script restarted Zimbra this morning, so I believe they are being updated.

I cleared out the freshclam.log file and confirmed that it is running every two hours as expected:

Received signal: wake up
    ClamAV update process started at Fri Oct 3 11:58:42 2008
    WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
    WARNING: Local version: 0.93.3 Recommended version: 0.94
    DON'T PANIC! Read Clam AntiVirus
    main.cld is up to date (version: 48, sigs: 399264, f-level: 35, builder: sven)
    daily.cvd is up to date (version: 8372, sigs: 37630, f-level: 35, builder: arnaud)

I too am having this issue since upgrading to 5.0.9GA. I upgraded to 5.0.10 and it ran for about a week before failing.

We also do the nightly backup by shutting down Zimbra and then doing a backup.

If I wipe the /opt/zimbra/clamav/db folder and then re-run freshclam the service will start as expected. (As outlined at: ClamAV - Reset Defs DB - Zimbra :: Wiki)

I may try to skip the backups over the weekend and see if that keeps this from happening.

This issue is also appearing for me now on 5.0.9GA. It has run fine for 4 months, but the last 2-3 weeks i get this error and have to start antivirus manually to get the mails sent through.

I have done the Reset Defs DB as explained in the wiki. Will this fix this issue? Or do I have to take other measures to ensure that antivirus will start after tonights backup?

Quote Originally Posted by rchinn View Post
    Dion,

Did you ever come up with a fix for this? Since upgrading one of my FOSS 5.0.8 boxes to 5.0.10, I have been having the same problem. Clamav doesn't start after my backup script runs.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Sorry for the delay, I just saw this needed my attention.

I did 2 things.

1. We changed the time of the backup by 20 minutes.

2. We reduced the update frequency back to 2 hrs.

Not sure what fixed it, but it doesnt appear to have happened since.

We also have a double check script that checks afterwards to make sure it started, and if it didnt, it starts it up specifically.

Hope this helps someone.
    --
    Zimbra 6.0.3
    CentOS 5.3

Could you share that double check script? Might be handy to have.

Or could i just make a cron job for zimbra to do a "zmcontrol start" every night?