Thread: Bug? Can't sort by sender.

Default Bug? Can't sort by sender.

Hi,

I have ZCS 5 installed on an Ubuntu 8.04 box. It's running beautifully! Well done on creating such a kick ass product.

My users are confused, however. They can't sort by anything but subject and date sent. Is this by design? Was it simply forgotton in the Ubuntu distro? Is it a bug?

Is anyone else running into this?

- Jesse

Design deficiency, not a bug. No, I can't sort by from either; the difference in the tooltips between the From and Subject column headers is your clue.

You can hang an RFE ticket at the bugzilla for this and I'll vote for it. (I'd offer to post it for you, but I've hung about 20 tickets in the last 24 hours, they may be getting sick of me. :-)
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

Default Actually seems like a bug

Did a bit more searching on Bugzilla and found bug 7972 - it appears that the sort by "from" field was working on previous versions.

Bug 7972 – Mail sort using FROM column for conversation view

Anyway, I'm going to vote for it. You might do the same .

- Jesse

If you are running 5.0.9 then you are experiencing 31080. If not then you are running into another issue. Sorting by the "From" column worked prior to 5.0.9 and is already fixed for 5.0.10.

HTH,
    John

Nah, not really. Matt Rhoades, who appears to be the bug triage nurse at Zimbra, actually seems to be pretty good at carrying the whole bug list around in his head (as a good triage nurse should).

If anything, I would say that the proper thing to do would be to extract the entire bugzilla database, analyze it for category, severity and duration, and then ask someone where the $300 million is going.

I'm quite tolerant of sluggish Open Source projects, in general... but this one isn't. Not since Yahoo bought them out.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

Man this is cool! Such an active forum...I like having forum convo's but like you I'm used to longer waits before responses.

I'm glad it's fixed in 5.0.10. Do we know when it will be released? I have users clamoring at my door like Dawn of the Dead.

- Jesse
    Last edited by jreinhart; 09-17-2008 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jreinhart View Post
    Man this is cool! Such an active forum...I like having forum convo's but like you I'm used to longer waits before responses.

I'm glad it's fixed in 5.0.10. Do we know when it will be released? I have users clamoring at my door like Dawn of the Dead.

- Jesse
    Just want to note that there are two different bugs being discussed here. The bug I mentioned in my first response (31080) is the one that is resolved in 5.0.10. The bug that you found (7972) is still open, and yeah, I would say it is kind of a bad sign that it is still open 2+ years later. Usually this means that it is either not that easy to add/fix or that the Zimbra folks don't feel that there is enough support (only 3 votes for this one in particular) to warrant the effort.

As far as when 5.0.10 will be released, I don't have a clue, but I hope it is soon too. I've been getting hammered by my users about this issue since our last upgrade (5.0.6 --> 5.0.9).

OK thanks. Yeah I think maybe the old bug got forgotten about, and I think that my issue is with the new bug.

Just so you know, 2 of those 3 votes were today, by myself and Baylink.

I guess I'll impatiently await the release of 5.0.10.

- Jesse