Thread: Multiple emails delivered when sent to a distribution list and its' alias

Default Multiple emails delivered when sent to a distribution list and its' alias

Hello,

I have a number of distribution lists setup along with several aliases per list. Is it possible to configure Zimbra to only deliver a single message if it is sent to both the distribution list and an alias to that list?

Currently we get multiple messages which is a little suboptimal.

Cheers
    David

Whether it's an alias, direct member, or indirect member - if a mail is sent to all of those at the same time to an end user on your Zimbra box they shouldn't receive duplicates if the ID dupe cache isn't expended. When LMTP receives the same message for the same user twice in a short period of time, it drops the second copy. The server will keep that many recipient/Message-ID pairs in a FIFO map (first in, first out) dropping any duplicates it sees- this all takes place in memory. For normal operation default zimbraMessageIdDedupeCacheSize is 3000. (It's possible to disable this by setting to 0 in the global LDAP config, which could be useful when you're using zmlmtpinject over and over & want it to actually make more copies.)

Thus when you test the below user generally only gets 1 email:
    list1 > user
    list2 > user & member of list1
    list3 > member of list2
    For obvious reasons with larger setups where you're going through that dupe cache really fast, or if the sender sends to the alias/member list in a separate email the user will get a dupe.

Thanks for that information. Is there any way of telling whether the cache is being filled up? We only have 50 odd users (and a bunch of distribution lists) so I would be surprised if it was filled up.

The issue is reproducible, including after hours when we would only be receiving external email, so I suspect there is something else at play here.

The only other item of information I didn't include originally is that the distribution lists actually deliver to Request Tracker using an alias on the local machine (configured via zmprov mcf zimbraMtaMyDestination <hostname>). We end up with two tickets instead of only one. Should that make a difference?

Should I be raising a bug for this?

Cheers,
    David