Thread: [SOLVED] Domain alias/maquerade and individual canonical addresses

Default [SOLVED] Domain alias/maquerade and individual canonical addresses

I have a Zimbra mail domain which I will call "domain_old". I plan on creating a domain alias using instructions found in Managing Domains and also masquerade this domain using domain canonical address also using instructions from Managing Domains. I will call this pseudo domain "domain_new".

If I am correct, this process will allow user@domain_old.com to receive mail under the alias user@domain_new.com, as well as send mail as user@domain_new.com.

My questions:

*** My goal is to create domain_new addresses to send and receive mail without having to create two separate mailboxes. Does the method above make sense with this goal in mind?

***Management wants to change the format of email addresses from jsmith@domain_old.com to john.smith@domain_new.com. Is there a zimbra CLI method i can use to create canonical addresses for individual accounts, similar to
    (for aliases) so I can write a script to automate this? Will canonical addresses in individual accounts interfere with my domain masquerade (domain canonical address)?

Thanks in advance for any help/tips. This forum has already been extremely helpful to me.

mm

For my setup what I did was to create two domains then each user is configured to have canonical address and alias for their account. Yes, you can write a script to automate everything using zmprov. Canonical addresses will not interfere domain masquerade.

everything is working great. For those of you looking for the CLI syntax to create a canonical address (i couldn't find it specifically referred to in the zmprov examples) here it is:

zmprov ma user@email.com zimbraMailCanonicalAddress user_canonical@canonical.com
    thanks!