Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't create distro list

From the TO box with a partial name after selecting the Global Address List on the right hand side.

Can you enter "$set:debug 1" without the quotes into the search bar and press enter. This will open a debug window. Run your test again and post the SOAP request/response. This may help.

Default SOAP Output

OK.

I ended up with 2 "REQUEST" / "RESPONSE" pairs.
    I'm guessing that second set is what is I should look at.

REQUEST

<soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope">
    <soap:Header>
    <context xmlns="urn:zimbra">
    <sessionId id="1"/>
    <change token="600" type="new"/>
    <authToken>
    0_15e1f3add71494089cfb5b70e675beaf6ead13ba_69643d3 3363a61393065313039312d336338632d313164612d6131386 32d6233336134356461383038663b6578703d31333a3131333 03635363537333333383b
    </authToken>
    <format type="js"/>
    </context>
    </soap:Header>
    <soap:Body>
    <SearchGalRequest xmlns="urn:zimbraAccount">
    <name>
    ba
    </name>
    </SearchGalRequest>
    </soap:Body>
    </soap:Envelope>

Found free Rpc Context in cache
    REQ. HEADER: Content-Type - application/soap+xml; charset=utf-8
    ROUND TRIP TIME: 828

RESPONSE

(The response is quite long and contains a lot of names. I think it better to not post it here for both reasons. There does not seem, to my eye, to be any order to the list or a common thread. I searched for "ba" but aside from the one name that was returned at the top of the list there does not seem to be anything that a "ba" search would hit on. It almost looks like a sequential read out of the LDAP data. Could you please let me know if there is something in particular that you are interested in?)

Thanks . . . Don

Well I think "ba" gets searched like "*b*a*" So it will match lots of names. Can you search on something a little longer? This may give you a better result if you have a large list of contacts.

It took me a few days to get back to this but I tried searching for full names but ended up with the same result. To my eye all I'm getting is an unfiltered list of names - not much help as a global address search list.

It occurs to me that if what you say is true, that the search is conducted as "*b*a*" (for "ba") then wouldn't a full name search end up as "*b*a*n*n*e*r*" rather than "*banner*" (or something like that)? I guess I thought that one letter would return a very widely filtered (or for that matter unfiltered) list but with the addition of each letter that the list would be that much narrowed by an ever more specific search criteria. With the output I'm getting I believe that what you say is true but I don't see how that will result in any kind of user usable constructive list. My understanding of LDAP is really light so I'm very much shooting in the dark on this. Any light you can shed would be appreciated.

Just to see what would happen I also tried to configure GAL under the Active Directory setting. This, I am surprised to say (I'm afraid I don't have a lot of faith in MS and its ability to inter-work, but sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised), works but required the use of the Active Directory forest port instead of the normal LDAP port along with a username and password. Other than that the settings were pretty much the same as LDAP.

One question I had was that the setting wizard allows for a test search input. When the result of the test input comes back it includes the email address and "Full Name". However when searching for addresses in the global address list (mail - new - to - global address list - name - search) only "Name" is returned. Is there a way to set the list to return the full name?

My company is large enough that there are several people with the same name. The full name includes additional info (dept.) that helps to select the right person(s) when addressing email.

What I have now is more or less working in Active Directory mode but it seems very likely that the LDAP mode is not working correctly. I would rather use the LDAP mode if possible so any additional pointers/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks . . . Don

zimbra.ldif contains the two default gal filters:

zimbraGalLdapFilterDef: zimbra&(|(cn=*%s*)(sn=*%s*)(gn=*%s*)(mail=*%s*)(zimbraMa ilDeliveryAddress=*%s*)(zimbraMailAlias=*%s*)(zimb raMailAddress=*%s*))(|(objectclass=zimbraAccount)( objectclass=zimbraDistributionList)))

zimbraGalLdapFilterDef: ad&(|(cn=*%s*)(sn=*%s*)(gn=*%s*)(mail=*%s*))(!(msExc hHideFromAddressLists=TRUE))(mailnickname=*)(|(&(o bjectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(!(homeMDB= *))(!(msExchHomeServerName=*)))(&(objectCategory=p erson)(objectClass=user)(|(homeMDB=*)(msExchHomeSe rverName=*)))(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass =contact))(objectCategory=group)(objectCategory=pu blicFolder)(objectCategory=msExchDynamicDistributi onList)))

The "%s" is replaced with whatever string someone types in for their search. For example, if you are using our internal GAL/LDAP, then typing "rola" will result in matching "*rola*" in cn/sn/gn/mail/zimbraMail* attribute on objects that are accounts or distirbution lists. So my first comment about *b*a* is wrong. It's really just doing *ba*.

They may maybe some bugs in the gal stuff that got fixed for M2(coming soon), but I think most people using M1 have generally gotten it to work ok. What is the exact filter you are putting in for LDAP?

Sounds a little like I'm back to square one.
    On the positive side if others are not having difficulty then with the current system then that means that either my settings or my companies LDAP server are the problem (either of which are a realistic possibility in my mind). Since IT controls the LDAP server I'd appreciate it if we could ensure my settings are OK (before I try to get IT to work on the LDAP server).

He's what I've used for the LDAP settings in the GAL setup:

In the "Global Address List (GAL) Mode" screen
    GAL mode: Both
    Most results returned by GAL search: 400 (Past experience with a different app, a setting of 400 worked well. Does not seem to have made any difference positive or negative)

In the "GAL Settings" screen (2nd screen)
    Server type: LDAP
    External server name: (ip address)
    External server port: 389
    Use SSL: (not checked)
    LDAP filter: (objectclass=*)
    LDAP search base: dc=(3 letter company abbriviation),dc=(company name),dc=co,dc=jp

In the "GAL Settings" (3rd screen)
    Use DN/Password to bind to external server: (not checked)

The "GAL Settings Summary" screen reflects the above settings.
    In the "Please provide a search term:" I enter "ba" and press "Test".

I get a "Test Successful" but in the list of 10 Email Address / Full Name pairs returned none have a "ba" letter combination (meaning "b" and "a" are next to each other) in either their email address or name. Rather the list seems returned from the top of the names available from the LDAP server.

If all the settings here look OK then my next steps are to study up on LDAP and then try to have an educated discussion with my IT folks. My IT is an Exchange shop and have only set up an LDAP server as kind of a necessary evil to satisfy those like me. If I can explain to them, from a position of at least some small knowledge, what is not working and what they might do to fix it they may be willing to try.

Any LDAP study suggestions?

Thanks for all your help and time with this.

Don

Your LDAP filter needs some more info. Your just searching on * which means it will just return everything. You should try the this as your LDAP filter:

Code:
    (&(|(cn=*%s*)(sn=*%s*)(gn=*%s*)(mail=*%s*))(!(msExchHideFromAddressLists=TRUE))(mailnickname=*)(|(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(!(homeMDB=*))(!(msExchHomeServerName=*)))(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(|(homeMDB=*)(msExchHomeServerName=*)))(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=contact))(objectCategory=group)(objectCategory=publicFolder)(objectCategory=msExchDynamicDistributionList)))

Default globaladdresslist

I am not sure why but the global address list does not display users when selecting it. You have to search and a user. How do you get the gal to display users?

Quote Originally Posted by pauly10477
    I am not sure why but the global address list does not display users when selecting it. You have to search and a user. How do you get the gal to display users?
    If your using M2 there is a bug in the search so neither contacts of GAL will return results.