Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What hardware does your zimbra system runs on

I'm currently running on a TravelMate 2700 3GHz P4 with 80 GB HDD 1.2GB ram with 70 users on CentOS 4.3 Pretty scary huh? It was actually a stop gap measure when the "real" server died but I've been very pleased with the performance with such inadaquate hardware that I can't wait to see how it does with a couple of Opteron 280's, 4GB ram and 3 Rator 150 GB drives in a raid 5.

I'm a little worried about loading them with the 64 bit version of the OS, is it true that Zimbra will fail if I try?

I'm also considering using a simpler setup with an Athlon X2 4400+ and a larger SATA (II) 3 Gb/s on the back end with 3 Travelmates on the front end, but I'm not sure what kind of horse power I would need for a load balancer like Ultra Monkey. Lotsa laptops but not alot of capitol for hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux T
    I'm a little worried about loading them with the 64 bit version of the OS, is it true that Zimbra will fail if I try?
    Yes and no. Some portions of Zimbra will not work at first because of the perl modules included in the Zimbra packages (32 bit modules, they don't work in a 64 bit Perl install). Just provide the 64 bit compiled perl modules that Zimbra needs and make sure it uses them instead of the included modules and it works perfectly.

I'm running mine on a older supermico Dual P3, 1.4Ghz, w/ 2G RAM and two 140Gb ATA drives. Using FC4.

This runs great, for about 10 users. I don't know if you need so much server CPU - from what I've seen it really depends on the client OS and browser-- as to how well the Ajax functions.

I wouldn't use this to deploy to 1000 users, but I would for up to about 50.

RAM RAM RAM is what you need- trying 3.x on a 1G system caused tomcat to eventually die.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    100MB only?!? Storage is cheap. A couple 200 GB SATA drives mirror would give everybody a 1 GB quota

Something with 2GB RAM and dual AMD/Intel CPU's should be fine.
    Would you really want to rely on SATA rather than SCSI, though?

Quote Originally Posted by yetdog
    Would you really want to rely on SATA rather than SCSI, though?
    We've been very happy with SATA drives. YMMV but for the price and with RAID 10 it's been good to us.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jml75
    Hello all,

My question if for all the zimbra admins out there.

What type off hardware are you running zimbra on?

I'm curious because I'd like to know how zimbra scales under load and what kind of beast is required for a trouble free, high performing, usage.

I'm running the OSS version of zimbra on the following;

FedoraCore 4
    P4 3.2 CPU
    2 GB RAM
    300 GB Sata Seagate Disk
    MB ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
    Video 3dfx 3000 pci card - fanless...

I originally setup it up on this computer with only 512 mb ram and the server would crash after approx running for 6 hours.....I saw that I was low on the memory spec...zimbra requires 1 gb of ram....so I though two would be great...and it is...maybe more like overkill....

Get ready for a laugh -

I have been running zimbra for 3 versions now on a single PIII 500 with 768MB ram and 2 60GB drives in raid 1 (software). The userload is light, about 25 users of which only 5 I think are using the ajax client. The rest are using imap. Performance is reasonable on the LAN but the box probably couldn't handle any more accounts.

If I could get OSS to compile on solaris (sparc) then I could run Zimbra on some real hardware.

I have tested on bigger x86 machines with more users and performance still seemed to be mostly dependant on client machine speed and browser.

Unhappy Total of 3 systems...

I have a test system, where I first played with Zimbra:
    2.6 GHz Celeron D processor, 768 MB RAM, single 80 GB "Barracuda" drive.

And 2 "live" (well, they are live on the internet, but we aren't putting users on them quite yet) systems, both are (xSeries 206m):

Pentium 630 EMT64 @ 3.0 GHz
    2 GB ECC RAM (DDR2 4200, 533 MHz)
    2 x 160 GB SATA drives in RAID1 (mirrored)
    1 x 220 GB SATA drive mounted as backup

One system has RHEL 4.3, 32-bit version, which has run with no quirks. The other has CentOS 4.3 64-bit version. On that one, the basic Ldap, MTA, mailbox and spellcheck run, so it's usable, but logger, antivirus, antispam and snmp don't run due to the Perl problems Rob mentioned.

Speaking of which - Rob, I did use CPAN to download and make perl modules for Syslog, HiRes and ZLib, but antivirus (for instance) only found Syslog, and still says the other 2 are missing. Any chance you'd share your PERLLIB setting from .bashrc ? I think I must have some paths wrong

We are in a multi server environment, some of which run inside a VMware ESX server. Done for high availability.

MTA
    2G RAM
    Dual 3.2GHz
    3 73GB 15K SCSI in RAID 5

ESX Server
    8G RAM
    Dual 3.2GHz
    4 73GB 15K SCSI in RAID 5

LDAP/Mailstore (VMs)
    2G RAM
    uses ESX processor
    10GB Drives

Thanx to all for the relies!

I'll see how my setup turns out and post results when I'll have it running.

Thanx again for all the infos an for sharing your experiences.